I deleted my own audio

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Doctor Funkenstein

Re: I deleted my own audio

Post by Doctor Funkenstein »

Here is a screenshot.

Thanks again for trying, everyone. The sound is now working but there is no volume control on the taskbar. The Pulseaudio volume control still won't open either. I tried going to the "add applets to panel" option, but the ordinary "sound" one won't open and neither will "sound 150%" or "sound with apps volume"

powerwagon75: Thanks, I will try that
Doctor Funkenstein

powerwagon75: It only has root as the owner/etc. for the .. directory, so I won't attempt to apply that fix
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

Doc,

From the KXStudio webpage, there is a cross-reference to Ubuntu Studio setup-- somewhere in all that it mentions making sure your user is a member of group "audio." Maybe check/try that and see if it helps.
Custom Antec Outside tower w/Mint 20.2
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 39/Mint 19.2/Mint 20.2
Advantech TPC-1551T w/LinuxLite
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

@Doctor Funkenstein
DELETE .cache/dconf
LogOFF/ON
Doctor Funkenstein

trytip wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:34 pm @Doctor Funkenstein
DELETE .cache/dconf
LogOFF/ON
Can somebody tell me real quick how to get permission to change this folder? I've been Googling around for like half an hour
Doctor Funkenstein

I figured it out. No dice on that either. Argh!
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I'm thinking this is mostly a permissions issue (probably wider than just .cache/dconf)

Doc, I really think you might need to follow the steps powerwagon75 posted at the bottom of the previous page (everything after "To correct this:" down to and including "Immediately log off and back into your account.".)

You posted this earlier: I really don't remember - it was a bunch of terminal commands! and I bet you may have sudo'd something that you shouldn't have.

I know it might be scary to try this, but as long as you follow the instructions exactly (use Copy and Paste so you don't mistype any characters) you'll be fine.
Doctor Funkenstein

Okay, I tried it. It returned something about "-exec is not a user" (I forget exactly because I followed the rest of the instructions and logged out). Then I typed

Code: Select all

find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f
It seems to have accepted that...all that it did was go to another line. I'd attach a screenshot but it says the file is too large.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Doctor Funkenstein wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:02 pm Then I typed

find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f
It seems to have accepted that...all that it did was go to another line. I'd attach a screenshot but it says the file is too large.
That would indicate the permissions are now fixed. Have you tried fiddling with audio since then?
Doctor Funkenstein

Yep, still nothing in terms of a volume control applet. I navigated to the settings and it does not recognize built-in audio either.
trytip wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:18 pm maybe i'm seeing things wrong but the volume is at 0 is this because audio is not working or could it be something is muting your volume.
you should always have something in .config/pulse if you don't it means pulse isn't initialized and you'll need to logOFF/ON or reboot
open terminal and tell me what do you get for this:

pactl list | grep -A2 'Source #' | grep 'Name: ' | cut -d" " -f2
you can't roll this back unless you use timeshift it's something like system restore. but you need a stable backup to roll into first.
I just saw this and have attached a screenshot
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I'm definitely out of my depth here but try this in the terminal:

pulseaudio --start
When you get back to a prompt, try:

pavucontrol
Doctor Funkenstein

MrEen wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:05 pm I'm definitely out of my depth here but try this in the terminal:

pulseaudio --start
When you get back to a prompt, try:

pavucontrol
Apparently you're not because that totally worked!

Since I've installed it a few times before, I can only conclude that launching it and installing it from the terminal is what did it. I dunno what benefits that has over the software manager, but I guess I will try this for other apps in the future.

The built-in speakers are back as an option again in the sound menu as well.

Call me superstitious, but I'm going to wait a couple of days before I mark this topic as solved again!
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

That's great! :D
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

If pulseaudio --start is not running on log in, then certainly pulseaudio will not start. Usually this gets started at login. There's a GUI somewhere in Mint showing and allowing you to set startup applications and commands; this is where pulseaudio --start is executed, unless this has changed at some point. You can sort this by creating the entry yourself in the aforementioned GUI. I'm not sure why it won't run at startup. Have you changed startup applications recently? Or changed any session things? (in-case it's now launched as part of the session)

To fix the permissions and ownership of ~/.cache/dconf, assuming you're referring to dconf as a directory, then run:

sudo chown $SUDO_UID:$SUDO_UID ~/.cache/dconf; chmod 700 ~/.cache/dconf
If the containing files aren't set correctly, you may run into additional errors.

I'd be surprised if that permission thing is responsible for the sound issues you had, because it's just a cache file and I use pulseaudio as well, yet I don't even have that dconf file or directory in ~/.cache.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.

Return to “Sound”