[Solved] DVD player does not read dvd

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
S3by
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved] DVD player does not read dvd

Post by S3by »

Hellow people ,

I had search the forum but i did not found any similar issue . Tnx for your time in advance .

I am using Linux mint mate 18.3 - 64 bit version am i am having an issue with my dvd writter .

If i insert a dvd or a cd with pictures , movies the items that are on dvd are not showed , blank DVD .
If i insert a cd with an installation stuff , application .exe the dvd wr does not show anithing , like i had no cd inserted .

I have installed wine HQ so i could install some win.exe applications but still my dvd-wr does not read applications .

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT51N (AS00) is disk drive name .
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: DVD player does not read dvd

Post by deepakdeshp »

What happens when you click file manager, nemo or thunnar??
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
S3by
Level 2
Level 2

Post by S3by »

After i insert a dvd with an windows application for exampe and i try to browse it with file manager i cannot acces it .
But when i use a dvd with pictures and i insert it in my dvd the autoplay function auto browse and open a blank window as the dvd was empty .
Last edited by S3by on Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrjimphelps

Post by mrjimphelps »

Do you have another drive you can swap this drive with? or can you install this drive in another computer?

How about if you download a fresh Linux ISO, and boot to it as Linux Live? Does the drive work when you are in Linux Live? The reason I suggest Linux Live is because doing so will eliminate the possibility that something got stepped on or corrupted in your installed version of Linux.

Another thing you could try: Log out, and log in as "guest" or as a different user than the one you have been logged in as. Perhaps there is an issue with the user profile that you have been logging in under.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Are you in the cdrom group?

Code: Select all

groups
S3by
Level 2
Level 2

Post by S3by »

mrjimphelps wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:39 am Do you have another drive you can swap this drive with? or can you install this drive in another computer?

How about if you download a fresh Linux ISO, and boot to it as Linux Live? Does the drive work when you are in Linux Live? The reason I suggest Linux Live is because doing so will eliminate the possibility that something got stepped on or corrupted in your installed version of Linux.

Another thing you could try: Log out, and log in as "guest" or as a different user than the one you have been logged in as. Perhaps there is an issue with the user profile that you have been logging in under.

Thnx for your replay .
I i do not have another laptop or computer to remove the drive and install it on it .

I downloaded a fresh linux mint 18.3 iso burn it on a stick and boot from it but i have same problem . The dvd is not showed .

I tryed a DVD with pictures and videos on it .
But nothing appears .
After i insert it in my DVD , nothing shows .
I also tryed a instalation DVD that i got .
But my DVD shows nothing .
As an administrator i can acces DVD so guest user same problem .
administrollaattori wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:22 pm Are you in the cdrom group?

groups
I don't know what u mean .
mrjimphelps

Post by mrjimphelps »

Your drive is showing up, so that is something. But it sounds like it is a bad drive, because you have tried just about everything, and still it won't work. There is definitely a hardware problem of some sort.

Here are some things to try, that you might not have tried. Swap these things around, to narrow it down to what exactly is causing the hardware problem:
* SATA data cable might be bad. Try a known good cable.
* Might be a bad SATA port. Plug the cable into a different SATA port.
* Might be a bad SATA power connector. Try a different power connector.
* Go into CMOS and check your settings there. Make sure that there is nothing there that is blocking the CD drive from working.

If none of these things fixes the drive, then you definitely have a bad drive. Replace it.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

S3by wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:38 am ...
I tryed a DVD with pictures and videos on it .
But nothing appears .
I noticed that the DVD is a DVD+R. Can you try another type, such as a DVD-R? Sometimes, the + type can be temperamental.
S3by wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:38 am ...
administrollaattori wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:22 pm Are you in the cdrom group?

groups
I don't know what u mean .
This is a command to be run in Terminal. Anytime someone puts text in a code box like that means that the member wants you to run the command in Terminal and copy and paste the output of the result of the command.What you did show is the GUI interface for groups, which did answer administrollaattori question---you are in the cdrom group.
S3by
Level 2
Level 2

Post by S3by »

Hellow people and thnx all who helped me .
Today i opened my laptop Asus ROG G75 . And here is my DVD-RW .
There are no wires or something to be broken , badly connected, is just the DVD itself .
I search google on Asus forums and lots of people with my laptop model who has this dvd model (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT51N (AS00)) does not work .

It's broken , many people replace the DVD with a HDD , other people replace it with a new DVD and it's working .

So final of all the DVD is broken , maybe laser not readyng or something and need replacement .
Thnx again to all .
mrjimphelps

Re: [Solved] DVD player does not read dvd

Post by mrjimphelps »

You could get an external DVD drive for around $25, something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-P ... dpSrc=srch

(This one will write to M-Disks, which is nice if you have stuff you want to preserve forever and ever.)

Here are some internal DVD drives which would replace what you currently have. All appear to be suitable for your laptop.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr ... 1521809908

Return to “Sound”