No sound via Bluetooth

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MarshalM

No sound via Bluetooth

Post by MarshalM »

Halo,
I searched for in this forum and in the Internet, but still I have the same problem.
I've headphones on bluetooth and i'd like to listen music using them.
I have no problem to pair and connect them to my Linux Mint 18.1, but i can't listen to music.
It's strange, because i can see them in systems sound configuration, but when I try to switch my sound to headphones i can't choose them.
Any idea why?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: No sound via Bluetooth

Post by catweazel »

There was a recent pulseaudio update in 18.3 to make it work with more bluetooth headsets. You have 18.1 so perhaps you might consider making sure your machine is fully up to date, or this link. For some extra detail, read this link.

This link is old but might have some clues.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
MarshalM

Post by MarshalM »

Thanks for your answer, but i still have a problem.
All my packages (including pulseaudio) is already the newest version.
The first and third link which You propose, I already try, but it doesn't help:(
I also think, that some information in this link is out of date, f.ex. some packages mentioned there is no in repo, or files names are different.
For now my headphone is paired and connected via bluetooth, i can see then in my output devices, but i cann't pick up the connected device.
Please help
msfullroller

Post by msfullroller »

I too am using Mint 18.1 and was having this same issue a few days ago and found the solution. Forgive me as I don't remember where I found it and can't give full credit to the individual. :(

What you have to do is uninstall "Blueberry" which is what comes with 18.1 and install "Blueman". Both are in the Synaptic Package Manager. Pair your headphones. Then go to the Sound settings, Playback and click on the box that you see next to it that may probably say "Built-in Analog Stereo" so that other options will come up and you should see your bluetooth headphones along with whatever else you may have there. Click the bubble to choose your headphones.

I've only done this using the default media player even for music. I've got to try it to see if it works with the audio players. The next time you want to use them you may have to remove the headphones and pair them again in Blueman.
Satori

Post by Satori »

Let's just accept that Bluetooth sucks in Linux Mint. I've had non-stop issues with it for years and on different (and new) machines. And whenever I do manage to fix it, somehow it ends up broken through the normal update process. I've stopped even trying to fix it.
MarshalM

Post by MarshalM »

msfullroller i have no idea how and where You found this, but it works! now i'm writing this post listening music via my BT headphones. It's amazing :D
But let mi tell what i had to do (maybe someone else can help this):
1) Uninstall "Blueberry" package (i did this in Synaptic Package Manager);
2) Install "Blueman" package (i did this in Synaptic Package Manager);
3) Restart my computer (without this i couldn't start BT);
4) Start BT module;
5) Run "Blueman";
6) Connect with my headphones (already was paired);
7) In "Blueman" select my device, than click on "Device" in menu > Audio profile (for PulseAudio) and choose option A2DP (i have 3 alternatives: HSP/HFP, A2DP, OFF);
8) Change output device in my sound configuration (via applet).
Thats all. Then i've tested the connection and works fine with music played from www (YT, soundcloud) or any player on my desktop.

Once again thanks a lot!
:wink:
msfullroller

Post by msfullroller »

MarshalM wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:54 pm msfullroller i have no idea how and where You found this, but it works! now i'm writing this post listening music via my BT headphones. It's amazing :D
But let mi tell what i had to do (maybe someone else can help this):
1) Uninstall "Blueberry" package (i did this in Synaptic Package Manager);
2) Install "Blueman" package (i did this in Synaptic Package Manager);
3) Restart my computer (without this i couldn't start BT);
4) Start BT module;
5) Run "Blueman";
6) Connect with my headphones (already was paired);
7) In "Blueman" select my device, than click on "Device" in menu > Audio profile (for PulseAudio) and choose option A2DP (i have 3 alternatives: HSP/HFP, A2DP, OFF);
8) Change output device in my sound configuration (via applet).
Thats all. Then i've tested the connection and works fine with music played from www (YT, soundcloud) or any player on my desktop.

Once again thanks a lot!
:wink:

You are most welcome! I'm still a newbie myself and so glad that I could repay the some of the help that I have gotten in the past. I was on the forum looking for answers with another issue that I was having. :lol:

I just installed Mint 18.1, upgrading to Mint 18.3 on another drive to test it out before I upgrade to it on my main drive. What catweazel said is true about 18.3. I'm listening right now as I type this to audio via my bluetooth headphones and this time I didn't have to do anything additional but pair them and of course choose them in the "Sound Settings". Blueberry is still installed.

So now there are two possible solutions to bluetooth issues. :)
MarshalM

Post by MarshalM »

Thanks for this additional information. I think, that i will move to LM 19 in near future, so we'll see how it will works there.
Anyway in my opinion people can find here some interesting them information.
Thanks a lot for all answers.
Last edited by MarshalM on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I have been using the python script at https://gist.github.com/pylover/d68be36 ... 5e6ed6e7ae to get my bluetooth headset to work on A2DP

Return to “Sound”