Youtube TV - HD Streaming Issues [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pilfer

Youtube TV - HD Streaming Issues [SOLVED]

Post by Pilfer »

EDIT: It seems the most recent update for the "chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra" package (65.0.3325.181-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) has enabled HD playback with YouTube TV. Tested in the most recent version of Chrome only, not Chromium.

I cannot for the life of my get the YouTube TV services to display any higher than 480p. There isn't even an HD option, 480p seems to be the max resolution. I tried it in Chromium first but the video never plays, just keeps loading forever. Installed the newest version of Chrome, straight from Google's website (64.0.3282.167 [Official Build] [64-bit]). Everything works as expected, other than the whole shitty quality thing. Tried every single channel, it seems to be locked to 480p.

Read in various articles that it was a Linux > Chrome compatibility issue. Some people mention HDCP, others DRM, etc. etc. Has anyone had any success streaming YouTube TV IN HD?! I tried installing the Windows version of Chrome with WINE, but I am still a Linux newbie and could not seem to get it installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Running Cinnamon (18.3) with the newest 4.13 kernel (4.13.0-32). Using a GeForce GTX 960 with Nvidia's propriety drivers (384.111...). Can't think of any other information that is relevant to the issue, but please let me know if more is required!!

I am hoping someone already had this issue and solved it. I do not want to have to dual boot Windows JUST to watch TV occasionally and I am certainly not switching back to Windows. So if I can't get it working, I will probably just have to decide on one of Google's competitors (Sling for example). BUT I do like the YouTube lineup, especially the local channels like CBS, so I would prefer to stick to them. Plays in perfect HD through my Roku Ultra as well as my wife's Windows PC.

Thank you in advance for the help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Youtube TV - HD Streaming Issues

Post by Hoser Rob »

Did a quick search of "ubuntu YouTube TV" and this was at the top of the list. Seems worth reading:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquestions ... outube_tv/
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Pilfer

Post by Pilfer »

Hoser Rob wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:42 am Did a quick search of "ubuntu YouTube TV" and this was at the top of the list. Seems worth reading:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquestions ... outube_tv/
Thanks! I feel like I replied to your post two other times, but it either didn't show up or I forgot to hit submit, lol.

All the replies in that post more or less confirms/correlates with everything else I've read. Sounds like Linux's lack of HDCP support is the culprit.

I can't get it to work running Windows 7/8/10 in Virtualbox either...because of the GPU drivers I assume. Such a bummer.
Pilfer

Post by Pilfer »

It seems the most recent update for the "chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra" package (65.0.3325.181-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) has enabled HD playback with YouTube TV. Tested in the most recent version of Chrome only, not Chromium.

Return to “Sound”