Flatpak version of Audacity - cannot select USB interface

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mark2741

Flatpak version of Audacity - cannot select USB interface

Post by mark2741 »

I'm not familiar with flatpaks but are they sandboxed to the point where they cannot see/accept usb interface's as input, or be used as part of a Jack audio configuration?

I am new to Mint and also home recording (guitar) using linux. Yesterday I installed Audacity the flatpak version, and Jack. When I started them up, Jack did not detect Audacity as all. Also, in Audacity's input dropdown selector my USB interface was not visible. I kept thinking that the interface just wasn't being detected but then I uninstalled the flatpak version of Audacity and installed the non-flatpak one from the Mint Software Center and it works! However, it's a much older version of Audacity. I'm fine with that though. Just figured I'd check here to see if anyone else has run into this with flatpaks?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Flatpak version of Audacity - cannot select USB interface

Post by Hoser Rob »

This isn't really a solution for the flatpak, but I've used the non flatpak version in both 17.3 and 18.2 quite a bit. I'm typing this in 17.3 but I'm pretty sure the version I installed in 18.2 was from the repos. It works just fine. Why do you need the flatpak?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
mark2741

Post by mark2741 »

The flatpak version is much newer that's all. Nicer UI but I'm fine with the non-flatpak version.

Ardour is another story....the version 4 in the repo doesn't seem to work. But that's a separate thread : )
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

mark2741 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:56 pm I'm not familiar with flatpaks but are they sandboxed to the point where they cannot see/accept usb interface's as input, or be used as part of a Jack audio configuration?
Dunno. I used one for ...um...avidemux! It added 800MB of stuff to the system!
And that version of avidemux required pulseaudio, which I don't have (IIRC probably not a flatpak/install glitch, it was in the specs).
I am new to Mint and also home recording (guitar) using linux.
Check out these:
guitarix - guitar effects (don't need jack)
rakarrack - need jack
hydrogen - nice drum machine (don't need jack)
Yesterday I installed Audacity the flatpak version, and Jack. When I started them up, Jack did not detect Audacity as all. Also, in Audacity's input dropdown selector my USB interface was not visible.
It might be smart to stick to the repo version with a "normal" install until you get things sorted. "jack" can be interesting!
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Sound”