Sound not working in Mint 18.3

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rickshaw
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Sound not working in Mint 18.3

Post by rickshaw »

trytip wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:32 pm
rickshaw wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:07 pm
trytip wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:14 pm do you have SOUND in other live linux distros?
What "other live linux distros"? I only have Mint installed.
what that means use https://distrowatch.com/ DOWNLOAD another distro and test the sound.
OK. I can only do that by replacing my operating distro. I have no desire to do that. Any other solutions?
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

You don't have too. You can just make a bootable USB with another distro and boot-up your computer into a live environment from that. No need to install. After you are done you just shutdown your machine and remove the USB.
rickshaw
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rickshaw »

Marziano wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:51 am You don't have too. You can just make a bootable USB with another distro and boot-up your computer into a live environment from that. No need to install. After you are done you just shutdown your machine and remove the USB.
OK, which one would you recommend then?
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Post by asinoro »

If you want to try something different than based on Ubuntu, then try Manjaro based on Arch or MX based on Debian.
LinuxMe863
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LinuxMe863 »

Rick : I pulled my hair out & burned up too many brain cells trying to get system & event sounds in mint 17.2 & 3 XFCE editions last year, and again recently with ChaletOS 16.04. It just isn't possible. I can listen to music and radio online, youtube, yeah, but no system/event sounds in those desktop environments, unless we are programmers, despite everyone's good intentions here. I can't get all those hours back.
On the other hand, LM 18.2 & 18.3 'Cinnamon' desktop environment gave me all that, and easily found and configurable in 'Settings' > 'Accessibility' and 'Sound' pages.
Test-drive that from a DVD in your optical drive, or from a USB flash drive. (another note, make sure you are downloading the proper 32 bit vs 64 bit version that your processor/chipset can handle. If your machine is not 64 bit capable, then you have to d/l and run the 32 bit version). (and sorry I didn't see this thread days ago, I maybe could have saved you some hours of frustration). M in Fla
ImNotGivingUp

Post by ImNotGivingUp »

rickshaw wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:46 am
rickshaw wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:07 pm
What "other live linux distros"? I only have Mint installed.
what that means use https://distrowatch.com/ DOWNLOAD another distro and test the sound.
OK. I can only do that by replacing my operating distro. I have no desire to do that. Any other solutions?
Perhaps I may be of assistance? This happened to me as well. I simply hovered mouse over speaker (sound) icon on the taskbar, RIGHT clicked and made sure both input and output were not muted. My output was muted, turned it on and all's well.
This may not be your problem, but it was surely mine!
rickshaw
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rickshaw »

ImNotGivingUp wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:20 pm
rickshaw wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:46 am

Perhaps I may be of assistance? This happened to me as well. I simply hovered mouse over speaker (sound) icon on the taskbar, RIGHT clicked and made sure both input and output were not muted. My output was muted, turned it on and all's well.
This may not be your problem, but it was surely mine!
I haven't given up on this. I have just reinstalled 18.3 completely to fix my cinnamon problem.

OK, this is an image of what I get from the taskbar speakers. Which is "on" and which is "off"? I am never sure. Don't know why they just can't use the word "mute" and "unmute"...
ImNotGivingUp

Post by ImNotGivingUp »

Those are both on. ...dammit... Oh well, it was MY problem anyways. I'm still following your thread, good luck!
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

ImNotGivingUp wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:28 am I'm still following your thread, good luck!
I believe many of us do. Good luck!
ImNotGivingUp

Post by ImNotGivingUp »

However, looking a bit closer, I see the top one is grayed out. This is no doubt indicative of your problem.
ImNotGivingUp

Post by ImNotGivingUp »

Did you try installing 18.1, then upgrading to 18.3?
YetiD

Post by YetiD »

ImNotGivingUp wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:32 am However, looking a bit closer, I see the top one is grayed out. This is no doubt indicative of your problem.
It's grayed out because it's muted. The screenshot Rickshaw posted shows that the speaker is turned off (muted). If he can slide the switch to the left so that the O is showing the speaker should be turned on. (He's right, these I's and O's on sliding switches can be confusing).
rickshaw
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rickshaw »

YetiD wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:47 pm
ImNotGivingUp wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:32 am However, looking a bit closer, I see the top one is grayed out. This is no doubt indicative of your problem.
It's grayed out because it's muted. The screenshot Rickshaw posted shows that the speaker is turned off (muted). If he can slide the switch to the left so that the O is showing the speaker should be turned on. (He's right, these I's and O's on sliding switches can be confusing).
OK, I have tried the switch position in both on and off positions and it has made no difference. There is still no sound.
ImNotGivingUp

Post by ImNotGivingUp »

I've also noted that my outputs seem to want to "switch"? between headphones and line out. I just unplug the cord and plug it in the other output.....weird stuff, but still.... if it works....
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

ImNotGivingUp wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:11 am I've also noted that my outputs seem to want to "switch"? between headphones and line out. I just unplug the cord and plug it in the other output.....weird stuff, but still.... if it works....
That is a little vague. You "unplug the cord" from where? What is "the other output"? :?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

usually the headphones or line-out are detected when you connect. so unplug the line-out or headphones will make alsa detect the output. this may kickstart the sound.

it's the same concept as with your phone. when you plug in the headphones the sound moves from the speaker to the headphones
geekomatic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by geekomatic »

Hi,

Have you had sound working-- ever--- on any live boot disk? I was going to suggest trying Knoppix.

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html

Also, one thing I stupidly did when I thought I'd lost my sound card was to NOT notice the tiny scrollbar in the output prefs for sound. I thought the one showing in that tiny window (HDMI) was all there was:

http://storage3.static.itmages.com/i/18 ... f2aef1.png

A shot in the dark, but you never know?
rickshaw
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rickshaw »

OK, I am downloading Knoppix as I speak.

I have a question. What motherboard does Mint work with to show sound straight out of the box or do all motherboards have this problem with Mint? I am considering purchasing a new motherboard. I need recommendations for a good, cheap alternative to the Asus one I presently have.
geekomatic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by geekomatic »

rickshaw wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:17 am OK, I am downloading Knoppix as I speak.

I have a question. What motherboard does Mint work with to show sound straight out of the box or do all motherboards have this problem with Mint? I am considering purchasing a new motherboard. I need recommendations for a good, cheap alternative to the Asus one I presently have.
I've had Mint work, basically everything, from the start.

Odd you have this issue? I hope it's fixed for you- Linux is pretty awesome.
pergelator

Post by pergelator »

Just came across this thread. I, too, have been chasing this problem for about a week (viewtopic.php?f=90&t=267455) and not getting anywhere. I sent a message to the ALSA driver mailing list. They suggested I install a new kernel, but since the kernels in both systems have the same version number, that doesn't seem helpful.

I run Linux Mint on my personal computer.
There are two bootable partitions on the hard disk.
SDA2 boots Sylvia, the current version. NO SOUND HERE.
SDA4 boots Serena, an older version. Sound works fine here.

Looking for differences between the two systems I found this (differences are in BOLD):

SDA2 Sylvia (NO SOUND)
c@c-HP-Compaq-Pro-4300-SFF-PC ~ $ sudo lspci -v > dummy.txt
[sudo] password for c:
lspci: Unable to load libkmod resources: error -12

From dummy.txt:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
DeviceName: Onboard AUDIO
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller
Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 5
Memory at f7d00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link

c@c-HP-Compaq-Pro-4300-SFF-PC ~ $ aplay --list-devices
aplay: device_list:268: no soundcards found...

SDA4 Serena (YES SOUND)
c@c-HP-Compaq-Pro-4300-SFF-PC ~ $ sudo lspci -v > dummy.txt
[sudo] password for c:

From dummy.txt:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
DeviceName: Onboard AUDIO
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 28
Memory at f7d00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

c@c-HP-Compaq-Pro-4300-SFF-PC ~ $ aplay --list-devices
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC221 Analog [ALC221 Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0