Sound not working in Mint 18.3

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pergelator

Re: Sound not working in Mint 18.3

Post by pergelator »

I gave up on trying to get sound to work 18.3 and have gone back to 18.1 (download iso file, burn DVD, boot and reinstall).
geekomatic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by geekomatic »

Post by pergelator

I hope that post will help the Mint team find the issue.

Nothing worse than something we all take for granted-- sound!!

Cheers
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

In the meantime, you could use one of these USB External Stereo Sound Adapters:
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External ... rd+adapter
$6.99

If you use "pulse audio", so scripting the volume from a command file is accomplished this way:
$ pactl set-sink-volume 9 -5% (lowers volume by 5%, also accepts +10%, 20db, 50%, or multiplier e.g. 1.1 ).
* Note: The 9 was obtained by typing "pactl list" and searching for "USB Audio Device". In this specific case, it was listed as "Sink #9".
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Mint 18

Post by Mint 18 »

Try to install "Pavucontrol" from Mint Software Manager. It has more control options then in "Sound Preferences". In my case I could hear sound only through attached speakers and not through TV which works as a monitor. One click in Pavucontrol solved the problem. Good luck.
Nona
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nona »

Same issue here:

Laptop: Acer Aspire E1 421
Kernel: 4.15.0-29-generic
Update status: up to date

Sound just disappear in speakers at random playing time, for example when playing Youtube video in Chromium or Firefox.
If I connect headset - sound still there.

Playing with pavucontrol doesn't help.

Please help.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Hi Nona.

Try deleting the files in ~/.config/pulse/ then in the terminal type pulseaudio -k and after a minute test your sound.

If this doesn't work, you should really start your own thread with a complete description of the problem and what you've tried to get it fixed. Also the output of inxi -Fxz and aplay -l would help.
Nona
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nona »

Ok, opening own thread.
Thank you.
DonDonDon333

Post by DonDonDon333 »

I fiddled and fiddled and read posts and fiddled and Googled and fiddled. All to no avail, under anything Ubuntu based, oddly enough. I saw a post from someone using Fedora who had no issues. So I burned a usb stick with Fedora 29 and boom! EVERYTHING works great. I don't mind spending a bit of time in a terminal and working things out but I got NOWHERE in Mint on my Surface 3. So my advice, try Fedora! I love Mint on anything else. It "just works". But on a Surface 3, it only seems to be true with Fedora. I'd never used anything Redhat based but it works. Unfortunately, I have to get the codecs etc separately.

Return to “Sound”