Permanent No external display pop up notification

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pavelito

Permanent No external display pop up notification

Post by pavelito »

Hi I've just installed LM 18.3 KDE on my HP Envy 17 laptop. Every ca. 1 minute I get a pop up notification in the centre of the screen "No external display". It appears for 2 sec. but is very annoying. How to disable this notification? I use integrated laptop display only of course. System doesn't have to notify me that I have no external display connected (I know it). Thanks for all the advices.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Permanent No external display pop up notification

Post by Spearmint2 »

Have you tried Monitor Preferences yet? Also post results of following command.

Code: Select all

xrandr
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
pavelito

Post by pavelito »

Yes, I've browsed display settings but haven't found any related to the issue I have. Any suggestions what setting to set?
Here is the command result:

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 8192 x 8192
LVDS connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
   1920x1080     60.06*+
   1680x1050     60.00  
   1400x1050     60.00  
   1280x1024     59.95  
   1440x900      59.99  
   1280x960      59.99  
   1280x854      59.95  
   1280x800      59.96  
   1280x720      59.97  
   1152x768      59.95  
   1024x768      59.95  
   800x600       59.96  
   848x480       59.94  
   720x480       59.94  
   640x480       59.94  
DisplayPort-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
VGA-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Everything looks great. Seems to be no system reason why it should give you that message. You can check Preferences for Startup Applications, see if anything there looks like it might cause that. Also if using Compiz, check it's settings, maybe something in there is causing it. There's a notification area in Compiz I'd uncheck if needed.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
pavelito

Post by pavelito »

OK, I'll check Your advices when I'm back home. But one more question, where to find Compiz settings? Thanks.
pavelito

Post by pavelito »

I haven't found anything related to the display in Startup Apps excluding KEkran2, but I think it is necessary for the display to work at system startup, isn't it? I couldn't find compiz settings.
pavelito

Post by pavelito »

Anyone has other idea what can cause the issue I have?
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

pavelito wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:00 am OK, I'll check Your advices when I'm back home. But one more question, where to find Compiz settings? Thanks.
Open the Control Center, it's in left column of Menu area. You can find icon for Compiz there.
pavelito

Post by pavelito »

Sorry but i am not sure. You mean Control Center as System Settings icon in Menu in the left corner right? I do not see compiz settings over there. The Menu search doesn't find it and the search in System Settings also doesn't find anything. I'm afraid You must give me the path step by step where is it exactly. I know compiz and it is very much about the effects in general, I've found desktop effects settings in System Settings but there is nothing regards the screen/display.
pavelito

Post by pavelito »

OK, I fed up. It is quite sad to realize that the linux distribution which always worked very well (even the best) on every machine I've owned for the last 10 years has started to work worse. Last year I have had more problems with LM than 5-6 years ago. I use now LM 18.3 on a quite old laptop but with not such a bad parameters: 8 x Intel Core i7 1,6 GHz with 8 GB RAM. It is much more than parameters recommended by Linux Mint team for smooth fast work. And it shortly freezes, slowing down, now such a strange issue with this pop up stupid and annoying notification out of the box straight after the installation. What is going on? I used to to use this machine with earlier versions of LM, with other Ubuntu derivatives and it worked fine. What a pity. Time to try something else than LM.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

pavelito wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:45 am Sorry but i am not sure. You mean Control Center as System Settings icon in Menu in the left corner right? I do not see compiz settings over there. The Menu search doesn't find it and the search in System Settings also doesn't find anything. I'm afraid You must give me the path step by step where is it exactly. I know compiz and it is very much about the effects in general, I've found desktop effects settings in System Settings but there is nothing regards the screen/display.

ccsm
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

pavelito wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:12 am OK, I fed up. It is quite sad to realize that the linux distribution which always worked very well (even the best) on every machine I've owned for the last 10 years has started to work worse. Last year I have had more problems with LM than 5-6 years ago. I use now LM 18.3 on a quite old laptop but with not such a bad parameters: 8 x Intel Core i7 1,6 GHz with 8 GB RAM. It is much more than parameters recommended by Linux Mint team for smooth fast work. And it shortly freezes, slowing down, now such a strange issue with this pop up stupid and annoying notification out of the box straight after the installation. What is going on? I used to to use this machine with earlier versions of LM, with other Ubuntu derivatives and it worked fine. What a pity. Time to try something else than LM.
Stay with 17.3 for awhile longer. That's what I'm doing. Maybe the newer systemd isn't all it's been cracked up to be? It's used in 18.3, but NOT in 17.3, here some info on it.

https://hackernoon.com/a-brief-overview ... 508bee4a33

see how easy it is? </snort>
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/systemd

https://wiki.debian.org/systemd

Maybe systemd is in the boxing ring with systemctl and when they reach round 15, they both are a bit punch drunk. Meanwhile sysvinit is the referee laughing at both of them having such a slug fest with each other.
pavelito

Post by pavelito »

Thanks for all the replies and advices. After a few years with debian/ubuntu derivatives I've decided to try something other based. Currently I've installed a newest Manjaro XFCE. It is too early to say anything in comparison to LM at the moment so I'm not going to do so. One I can say, I have no notification that there is no external display connected :D. Thanks again!

Return to “Sound”