Audio/video is out of sync.

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
UnlikeZero
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:10 am

Audio/video is out of sync.

Post by UnlikeZero » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:17 am

Working with Linux Mint 18.3 for a couple of weeks now and keeping every thing up-to-date.

I started noticing my audio is out of sync. It's in every film, also on Netflix and on YouTube videos. It's off by about 0.3 to 0.4 seconds, very noticeable.

It doesn't occur when I use other devices like my PS2, PS3 or PS4.
In Windows 10 the audio was in sync.

I watch a lot of content so it's a real annoyance.

How can this be and how is it fixed?

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4464
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:57 am

Re: Audio/video is out of sync.

Post by Hoser Rob » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:54 am

No one's going to be of any help with no useful system info. Copy/paste this to the terminal and copy/paste the text output here:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
If you have an Nvidia video card check Driver Manager for recommended drivers. Intel and AMD don't do closed binary Linux drivers for 18.x.

User avatar
Flemur
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6291
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:41 pm
Location: Potemkin Village

Re: Audio/video is out of sync.

Post by Flemur » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:31 am

UnlikeZero wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:17 am
It's off by about 0.3 to 0.4 seconds, very noticeable.
First check your speaker placement: that delay could be caused by the speakers being about 400 feet away.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

UnlikeZero
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:10 am

Re: Audio/video is out of sync.

Post by UnlikeZero » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:51 pm

Here's my system info:

Code: Select all

leon@leon-MS-7721 ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: leon-MS-7721 Kernel: 4.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   Mobo: MSI model: A78M-E45 (MS-7721) v: 5.0
           Bios: American Megatrends v: V25.0 date: 11/21/2013
CPU:       Quad core AMD A8-6600K APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 31141
           clock speeds: max: 3900 MHz 1: 1900 MHz 2: 1900 MHz 3: 1900 MHz
           4: 1900 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GK107 [GeForce GT 740] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 740/PCIe/SSE2
           GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.111 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Card-2 NVIDIA GK107 HDMI Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-37-generic
- And about my speaker placement: It's a properly set up 5.1 surround system, but the built-in speakers in the monitor also put out audio out of sync.

User avatar
Flemur
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6291
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:41 pm
Location: Potemkin Village

Re: Audio/video is out of sync.

Post by Flemur » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:58 pm

UnlikeZero wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:51 pm
- And about my speaker placement: It's a properly set up 5.1 surround system, but the built-in speakers in the monitor also put out audio out of sync.
I was just kidding about the speaker placement...

In

Code: Select all

pavucontrol
(Output->Advanced) you can adjust an audio offset, and also somewhere in the GUIs of vlc and mplayer.

But I'm wondering if those adjustments can only make it worse...?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

User avatar
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:28 pm

Re: Audio/video is out of sync.

Post by Arch_Enemy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:17 pm

Flemur wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:58 pm
UnlikeZero wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:51 pm
- And about my speaker placement: It's a properly set up 5.1 surround system, but the built-in speakers in the monitor also put out audio out of sync.
I was just kidding about the speaker placement...

In

Code: Select all

pavucontrol
(Output->Advanced) you can adjust an audio offset, and also somewhere in the GUIs of vlc and mplayer.

But I'm wondering if those adjustments can only make it worse...?
Yeah, what he said. You're looking for latency control. I resolved this by using a low-latency kernel, which is used for machines doing audio/video editing. Makes a difference.
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4464
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:57 am

Re: Audio/video is out of sync.

Post by Hoser Rob » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:45 am

Arch_Enemy wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:17 pm
.... You're looking for latency control. I resolved this by using a low-latency kernel, which is used for machines doing audio/video editing. Makes a difference.
Considering that I can play 1080p HEVC video with very high bit rates on my laptop with Intel integrated video with no problems at all, and this card is definitely worse than yours, I don't think a low latency kernel is going to help or be necessary. They certainly aren't meant to solve something like this. They're for much more intensive operations. Yes, like recording multitrack audio.

Where did you get that Nvidia driver? The recommended one from the Miint Driver Manager is usuallythe right one.

You've apparently done the kernel update for Meltdown, and that kernel version may not work with your video card and driver in 18.3. Try booting from the previous kernel if you haven't deleted it. If that works, try one of the 4.4 series kernels with the meltdown patch.

User avatar
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:28 pm

Re: Audio/video is out of sync.

Post by Arch_Enemy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:52 pm

Hoser Rob wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:45 am
Arch_Enemy wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:17 pm
.... You're looking for latency control. I resolved this by using a low-latency kernel, which is used for machines doing audio/video editing. Makes a difference.
Considering that I can play 1080p HEVC video with very high bit rates on my laptop with Intel integrated video with no problems at all, and this card is definitely worse than yours, I don't think a low latency kernel is going to help or be necessary. They certainly aren't meant to solve something like this. They're for much more intensive operations. Yes, like recording multitrack audio.

Where did you get that Nvidia driver? The recommended one from the Miint Driver Manager is usuallythe right one.

You've apparently done the kernel update for Meltdown, and that kernel version may not work with your video card and driver in 18.3. Try booting from the previous kernel if you haven't deleted it. If that works, try one of the 4.4 series kernels with the meltdown patch.
Got the nVidia driver from the repository in Synaptic. 387.xx
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

User avatar
Flemur
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6291
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:41 pm
Location: Potemkin Village

Re: Audio/video is out of sync.

Post by Flemur » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:18 pm

Hoser Rob wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:45 am
Considering that I can play 1080p HEVC video with very high bit rates on my laptop with Intel integrated video with no problems at all, and this card is definitely worse than yours,
I can watch 1680x1050 video on an old 8400 GS with nouveau drivers and the sound stays synced. (8 year-old low-end eMachine 1831-07)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

UnlikeZero
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:10 am

Re: Audio/video is out of sync.

Post by UnlikeZero » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:34 am

Hoser Rob wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:45 am
Arch_Enemy wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:17 pm
.... You're looking for latency control. I resolved this by using a low-latency kernel, which is used for machines doing audio/video editing. Makes a difference.
Considering that I can play 1080p HEVC video with very high bit rates on my laptop with Intel integrated video with no problems at all, and this card is definitely worse than yours, I don't think a low latency kernel is going to help or be necessary. They certainly aren't meant to solve something like this. They're for much more intensive operations. Yes, like recording multitrack audio.

Where did you get that Nvidia driver? The recommended one from the Miint Driver Manager is usuallythe right one.

You've apparently done the kernel update for Meltdown, and that kernel version may not work with your video card and driver in 18.3. Try booting from the previous kernel if you haven't deleted it. If that works, try one of the 4.4 series kernels with the meltdown patch.
I've checked the Mint Driver Manager and it is the recommended Nvidia Driver (Version 384.111)
I also installed the amd64-microcode driver and checked the CPU performance during playback.

Using

Code: Select all

pavucontrol
I can get closer to full sync, just like the sync option in VLC player.

I wish there was a more permanent fix, as the OS feels slow in general even though it's only been installed for a couple of weeks.
I can live with it feeling slow, but the audio thing is a mayor drawback for switching to Linux.

User avatar
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:28 pm

Re: Audio/video is out of sync.

Post by Arch_Enemy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:52 pm

UnlikeZero wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:34 am
Hoser Rob wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:45 am
Arch_Enemy wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:17 pm
.... You're looking for latency control. I resolved this by using a low-latency kernel, which is used for machines doing audio/video editing. Makes a difference.
Considering that I can play 1080p HEVC video with very high bit rates on my laptop with Intel integrated video with no problems at all, and this card is definitely worse than yours, I don't think a low latency kernel is going to help or be necessary. They certainly aren't meant to solve something like this. They're for much more intensive operations. Yes, like recording multitrack audio.

Where did you get that Nvidia driver? The recommended one from the Miint Driver Manager is usuallythe right one.

You've apparently done the kernel update for Meltdown, and that kernel version may not work with your video card and driver in 18.3. Try booting from the previous kernel if you haven't deleted it. If that works, try one of the 4.4 series kernels with the meltdown patch.
I've checked the Mint Driver Manager and it is the recommended Nvidia Driver (Version 384.111)
I also installed the amd64-microcode driver and checked the CPU performance during playback.

Using

Code: Select all

pavucontrol
I can get closer to full sync, just like the sync option in VLC player.

I wish there was a more permanent fix, as the OS feels slow in general even though it's only been installed for a couple of weeks.
I can live with it feeling slow, but the audio thing is a mayor drawback for switching to Linux.
I had the same issue a couple years ago, I think with Arch, and I installed the low-latency kernel, pauvcontrol and the latest nVidia driver as well. I too, got very close. Almost in sync.
I have not had the issue with Mint, however. I am assuming you loaded all the codecs? And I mean, ALL the codecs! I installed almost every single codec available, and I force-installed the Win64 codecs from a .deb file floating around out there and haven't had an issue at all.

I also heard about LiVES video editor and that led me to a download page for additional codecs so I installed them too. I can't remember where it was, it was a guy who maintains piles of files for multimedia, but I can't find it right now.
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Post Reply

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”