Audio/video is out of sync.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
UnlikeZero

Audio/video is out of sync.

Post by UnlikeZero »

Working with Linux Mint 18.3 for a couple of weeks now and keeping every thing up-to-date.

I started noticing my audio is out of sync. It's in every film, also on Netflix and on YouTube videos. It's off by about 0.3 to 0.4 seconds, very noticeable.

It doesn't occur when I use other devices like my PS2, PS3 or PS4.
In Windows 10 the audio was in sync.

I watch a lot of content so it's a real annoyance.

How can this be and how is it fixed?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Audio/video is out of sync.

Post by Hoser Rob »

No one's going to be of any help with no useful system info. Copy/paste this to the terminal and copy/paste the text output here:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
If you have an Nvidia video card check Driver Manager for recommended drivers. Intel and AMD don't do closed binary Linux drivers for 18.x.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

UnlikeZero wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:17 amIt's off by about 0.3 to 0.4 seconds, very noticeable.
First check your speaker placement: that delay could be caused by the speakers being about 400 feet away.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
UnlikeZero

Post by UnlikeZero »

Here's my system info:

leon@leon-MS-7721 ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: leon-MS-7721 Kernel: 4.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   Mobo: MSI model: A78M-E45 (MS-7721) v: 5.0
           Bios: American Megatrends v: V25.0 date: 11/21/2013
CPU:       Quad core AMD A8-6600K APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 31141
           clock speeds: max: 3900 MHz 1: 1900 MHz 2: 1900 MHz 3: 1900 MHz
           4: 1900 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GK107 [GeForce GT 740] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 740/PCIe/SSE2
           GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.111 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Card-2 NVIDIA GK107 HDMI Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-37-generic
- And about my speaker placement: It's a properly set up 5.1 surround system, but the built-in speakers in the monitor also put out audio out of sync.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

UnlikeZero wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:51 pm- And about my speaker placement: It's a properly set up 5.1 surround system, but the built-in speakers in the monitor also put out audio out of sync.
I was just kidding about the speaker placement...

In

pavucontrol
(Output->Advanced) you can adjust an audio offset, and also somewhere in the GUIs of vlc and mplayer.

But I'm wondering if those adjustments can only make it worse...?
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Flemur wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:58 pm
UnlikeZero wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:51 pm- And about my speaker placement: It's a properly set up 5.1 surround system, but the built-in speakers in the monitor also put out audio out of sync.
I was just kidding about the speaker placement...

In

pavucontrol
(Output->Advanced) you can adjust an audio offset, and also somewhere in the GUIs of vlc and mplayer.

But I'm wondering if those adjustments can only make it worse...?
Yeah, what he said. You're looking for latency control. I resolved this by using a low-latency kernel, which is used for machines doing audio/video editing. Makes a difference.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:17 pm.... You're looking for latency control. I resolved this by using a low-latency kernel, which is used for machines doing audio/video editing. Makes a difference.
Considering that I can play 1080p HEVC video with very high bit rates on my laptop with Intel integrated video with no problems at all, and this card is definitely worse than yours, I don't think a low latency kernel is going to help or be necessary. They certainly aren't meant to solve something like this. They're for much more intensive operations. Yes, like recording multitrack audio.

Where did you get that Nvidia driver? The recommended one from the Miint Driver Manager is usuallythe right one.

You've apparently done the kernel update for Meltdown, and that kernel version may not work with your video card and driver in 18.3. Try booting from the previous kernel if you haven't deleted it. If that works, try one of the 4.4 series kernels with the meltdown patch.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Hoser Rob wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:45 am
Arch_Enemy wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:17 pm.... You're looking for latency control. I resolved this by using a low-latency kernel, which is used for machines doing audio/video editing. Makes a difference.
Considering that I can play 1080p HEVC video with very high bit rates on my laptop with Intel integrated video with no problems at all, and this card is definitely worse than yours, I don't think a low latency kernel is going to help or be necessary. They certainly aren't meant to solve something like this. They're for much more intensive operations. Yes, like recording multitrack audio.

Where did you get that Nvidia driver? The recommended one from the Miint Driver Manager is usuallythe right one.

You've apparently done the kernel update for Meltdown, and that kernel version may not work with your video card and driver in 18.3. Try booting from the previous kernel if you haven't deleted it. If that works, try one of the 4.4 series kernels with the meltdown patch.
Got the nVidia driver from the repository in Synaptic. 387.xx

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Hoser Rob wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:45 amConsidering that I can play 1080p HEVC video with very high bit rates on my laptop with Intel integrated video with no problems at all, and this card is definitely worse than yours,
I can watch 1680x1050 video on an old 8400 GS with nouveau drivers and the sound stays synced. (8 year-old low-end eMachine 1831-07)
UnlikeZero

Post by UnlikeZero »

I've checked the Mint Driver Manager and it is the recommended Nvidia Driver (Version 384.111)
I also installed the amd64-microcode driver and checked the CPU performance during playback.

Using

pavucontrol
I can get closer to full sync, just like the sync option in VLC player.

I wish there was a more permanent fix, as the OS feels slow in general even though it's only been installed for a couple of weeks.
I can live with it feeling slow, but the audio thing is a mayor drawback for switching to Linux.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

UnlikeZero wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:34 am

I've checked the Mint Driver Manager and it is the recommended Nvidia Driver (Version 384.111)
I also installed the amd64-microcode driver and checked the CPU performance during playback.

Using

pavucontrol
I can get closer to full sync, just like the sync option in VLC player.

I wish there was a more permanent fix, as the OS feels slow in general even though it's only been installed for a couple of weeks.
I can live with it feeling slow, but the audio thing is a mayor drawback for switching to Linux.
I had the same issue a couple years ago, I think with Arch, and I installed the low-latency kernel, pauvcontrol and the latest nVidia driver as well. I too, got very close. Almost in sync.
I have not had the issue with Mint, however. I am assuming you loaded all the codecs? And I mean, ALL the codecs! I installed almost every single codec available, and I force-installed the Win64 codecs from a .deb file floating around out there and haven't had an issue at all.

I also heard about LiVES video editor and that led me to a download page for additional codecs so I installed them too. I can't remember where it was, it was a guy who maintains piles of files for multimedia, but I can't find it right now.

Return to “Sound”