added noise when recording desktop

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
drvinyarski

added noise when recording desktop

Post by drvinyarski »

OS = 64-bit Linux Mint 18 Sarah

I'm using "RecordMyDesktop" to make a copy of an instructional video that's playing in a browser window (because I have no method of directly downloading the video).

The recording quality is not too bad--except for an added "high-pitched squeel" that's present in the background (not as loud as the media content). I can't hear this distortion/noise when directly listening to the source video--only when playing back the recording--so it seems to be added in the recording process. Any ideas on how to get rid of this? Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: added noise when recording desktop

Post by Arch_Enemy »

drvinyarski wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:22 pm OS = 64-bit Linux Mint 18 Sarah

I'm using "RecordMyDesktop" to make a copy of an instructional video that's playing in a browser window (because I have no method of directly downloading the video).

The recording quality is not too bad--except for an added "high-pitched squeel" that's present in the background (not as loud as the media content). I can't hear this distortion/noise when directly listening to the source video--only when playing back the recording--so it seems to be added in the recording process. Any ideas on how to get rid of this? Thanks in advance!
Did you turn down (mute) the output level to any speakers attached? If wearing headphones, do you have it up loud?
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
drvinyarski

Post by drvinyarski »

The app (recordmydesktop) records everything exactly how it's playing on my monitor / speakers / headphones. If I mute or reduce the volume, the audio in the recording is muted or reduced as well. Do I have something set up incorrectly?
ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ejazzkatt »

I can't say anything about your sound problem but I'd suggest that you try VLC to record your video from the browser.
http://www.gofree.com/Tutorials/VLCRecordLiveFeeds.php

If you use the Chrome Browser you might want to use the add-on Video Downloader.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

drvinyarski wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:59 pm The app (recordmydesktop) records everything exactly how it's playing on my monitor / speakers / headphones. If I mute or reduce the volume, the audio in the recording is muted or reduced as well. Do I have something set up incorrectly?
Are you using a mic as well? What I'm thinking is you're getting a small amount of feedback in the recorded audio.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi drvinyarski,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Can you provide an example of the website url of the video you are recording?

1. I would highly recommend using SimpleScreenRecorder (SSR) for recording your desktop.
SimpleScreenRecorder
To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:maarten-baert/simplescreenrecorder

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install simplescreenrecorder simplescreenrecorder-lib
# if you want to record 32-bit OpenGL applications on a 64-bit system:

sudo apt-get install simplescreenrecorder-lib:i386

2. There are a lot of browser extension add-ons that can download videos, and Linux applications too (YouTube-DL and YouTube-DLG, 4K video downloader, etc...)

3. As was already mentioned, if you have a microphone and are not using it, then mute it or lower its volume; same with "line-in" controls.

FYI: Install "pulse audio volume control" from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)". There are some really nice graphical (GUI) programs for sound that start with "Qas", like the fantastic "Qasmixer", in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) that you can install and use. Sound "Mixers" can be a little confusing if you are not familiar with them. If you bring up "Qasmixer" and make it fullscreen, on the right side you will have mixer devices where you can control your system sound. If you do not see the mixer devices, hit "F6". The mixer item "sysdefault" will show all installed sound card devices, and you will have various options to adjust various volume controls using "sliders" which you can turn off and on using the "dot" below the volume slider. There are also various other check boxes below that you can use, and depending upon your sound card(s) that sometimes includes headphone checkboxes and or sliders as well, like "Headphone Jack Sense".

The applications included are:
- qasconfig - browser for the alsa configuration tree
- qashctl - mixer for alsa's high level control interface
- qasmixer - desktop mixer with features similar to alsamixer

Qasmixer is a desktop mixer application for alsa's "simple mixer interface" and offers features similar to alsamixer. it also features a system tray icon with basic mixer functionality.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
drvinyarski

Post by drvinyarski »

Thanks for the excellent information!

I tried SimpleScreenRecorder and it worked PERFECT.

So I abandoned all efforts to figure out what was going wrong with RecordMyDesktop. But as I find time, I'll still explore some of this other advice, just for the purpose of learning. I'm beginning courses in Linux Administration in a few weeks and I hope to eventually help others here. Thanks again!
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi drvinyarski,

You are welcome ...

SSR is my favorite screen recording application and it works great!
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Sound”