No sound from my CCTV cameras (yet Windows and MacOS OK)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JIS

No sound from my CCTV cameras (yet Windows and MacOS OK)

Post by JIS »

Hello all;
I have recently installed LM Cinnamon and have been super impressed.
However, when I connect (using either Firefox or Chromium) to my CCTV cameras (using their IP on my LAN) the video comes up as normal but the audio is silent (dead). In an attempt to resolve this I have loaded loaded the Synaptic Package Maneger and the Adobe flash player but, apart from actually doing this, I have done nothing and merely hoped that it would then work. It doesn't; so still no sound!
I am advised by the CCTV support team that the CCTV supports Windows and macOX and that flash is used.
Yes, I can play flash on regular sites with video and audio; it's just my CCTV cameras.
Any thoughts please ? Thanks !
John
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JIS

Re: No sound from my CCTV cameras (yet Windows and MacOS OK)

Post by JIS »

My first post on this forum has attracted no replies so far :?
So, let me try again. I have also downloaded the Spotify App and this too fails to generate sound through my speakers.
This is possibly related to the lack of sound when viewing my CCTV cameras. As I say, fire them up in any browser using Windows or MAC OS and it's fine.
My challenge is Linux Mint. Would be grateful for a little guidance.
Thanks
John
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

If you don't already have PulseAudio Volume Control installed, install it, then mess with the settings while you have the camera displayed in your browser.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
JIS

Post by JIS »

Hello Jim
Thanks for the reply; appreciated. You suggested PulseAudio Volume Control installed, install it, then mess with the settings while you have the camera displayed in your browser.
Yes, done that and spent time going through the multiple permutations. No joy at all.
I also fired up Linux Mint on my Apple Mac juts to determine whether it might be the chip set in the (admitedly old) Dell PC that was causing the problem. So the Apple MacBook Pro did the same; no sound when connected to my CCTV cameras on the network and yet, when rebooted in MAC OS, no problem .......
Is my expereince so strange ??? !
Thanks for any additional suggestions.
Regards

John
JIS

Post by JIS »

As so often happens when trying to solve a problem, you end up worse than when you started! In my case I followed the precise instructions from another forum where the solution for the sound was suggested to be
sudo alsa force-reload

then

sudo apt-get remove --purge alsa-base pulseaudio
sudo apt-get install alsa-base pulseaudio

and finally

sudo alsa force-reload

This did not work and I lost all my system sounds !! However, I researched and found the solution; re-install the libcaberra-pulse library
and immediately the system sounds are restored. However, my original challenge persists; ie I hear no sound from my CCTV camera display in either Firefox or Chromium :evil:
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Just some thoughts that probably need eliminating.

Are you by any chance running your browsers in a firejail sandbox?

There are known audio issues in firefox 59.0 that apparently won't be fixed until 60.0 is released. ( this doesn't account for chromium ). A fix can be achieved by restarting pulseaudio

Code: Select all

pkill pulseaudio
and re-loading the tab.
JIS

Post by JIS »

Mattyboy wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:40 pm Just some thoughts that probably need eliminating.

Are you by any chance running your browsers in a firejail sandbox?
Hello Mattyboy; no sir; simply Chromium and Firefox "out of the box".

It is weird because I can :
  • play Youtube videos
  • listen to Spotify music (both Web and the App)
  • watch TV by connecting to my network TV 'box'
  • listen to system generated sounds
But, when I connect to my networked CCTV camera ; whilst I can see the video, no audio is there; and yet, turn to my iMac or Win10 PC and full audio is present. What else can I try ?
JIS

Post by JIS »

I guess that's a 'no' then :cry:
Thanks anyway
John

Return to “Sound”