Really bad sound quality only with headphone [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kistazl

Really bad sound quality only with headphone [SOLVED]

Post by Kistazl »

Hello,

I'm new to linux and I'm experiencing some problems. I just installed linux mint 18.3 x64 with cinnamon on my 2 years old asus laptop. Everything's working fine except from the sound quality when I connect my headphone on jack. The sound is heavily distorded, like I'm hearing through a can. I did some research and tried the solutions I found but none of them worked, like installing alsamixer or Qasmixer, lowering the PCM sound, that kind of thing. The exact same headphone with the exact same computer and the exact same flac file is working fine on windows (I have dual boot). I have already tried cleaning the jack port and plug, it changed nothing.

Somebody can help me ? Please ? Is it a known problem ?

Pardon my english, it's not my native language.

Have a nice day to you all.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Really bad sound quality only with headphone

Post by trytip »

do you get the same distortion when playing music in the live linux mint?
Kistazl

Post by Kistazl »

I just tried, indeed the distortion is still here even when I'm booting from my usb drive. Should I try a different distribution not based on ubuntu ?

Edit : I tried with fedora live, the sound is perfect. It's just mint who has distortion with headphone.
Last edited by Kistazl on Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Kistazl wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:42 am I just tried, indeed the distortion is still here even when I'm booting from my usb drive. Should I try a different distribution not based on ubuntu ?

Edit : I tried with fedora live, the sound is perfect. It's just mint.
The sound is just mint in Fedora, or it's just mint causing the issue...? 8)
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Kistazl

Post by Kistazl »

Excuse-me, I wanted to say that it's cristal clear on fedora, the distortion occure only on mint with headphone on.
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Post by asinoro »

Try to install the 4.4 lts kernel.
Kistazl

Post by Kistazl »

I was thinking that my linux was up to date, but it seems the kernel don't show in the integrated software update. I was on 4.13 kernel, I used Ukuu to update my kernel to the latest stable version, 4.16, instead of 4.4 like you told me. I didn't know if I could install an older kernel that the one I was already using.

Anyway : IT'S WORKING !! My sound is perfect with headphones, thank you all for your help ! The only reason I had to stay on windows just vanished thanks to you :)

Return to “Sound”