CD & DVD Burning?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
spearmint

CD & DVD Burning?

Post by spearmint »

Just getting my feet wet using LM 18.3 - Have downloaded Xfburn however I get the response when I open it that "no burners are currently available". Version I have is 0.5.4. What do I have to do to accomplish multimedia/video burning that is available for LM 18.3? Thank you very much! SM
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: CD & DVD Burning?

Post by jimallyn »

As far as I know, all versions of Mint come with burning software. My favorite is K3b, but xfburn is good too.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

jimallyn wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:40 am As far as I know, all versions of Mint come with burning software.
Not more since 18.2.
spearmint

Post by spearmint »

Cosmo. wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:33 am
jimallyn wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:40 am As far as I know, all versions of Mint come with burning software.
Not more since 18.2.
With that said ... what would you all suggest I do? Thank you :( SM
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi spearmint,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

First, help us to help you by providing more information:
It would help to know more about your system setup and to see if your Linux Mint system recognizes the CD/DVD drive. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Is the DVD/CD drive internal or External? Have you ever used it successfully before on this computer with this Linux Mint?

Big +1 for installing "K3b" from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" and all of its recommended and suggested packages (right-click k3b), and "udftools", restart afterward. IMHO, "K3b" is the best DVD/CD application in Linux, but "xfburn" should also work.

If you did not install the 3rd party plugins during the installation of Linux Mint, then you must do that as well through the Welcome screen, or from Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), "mint-meta-codecs" (restart afterward).

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

spearmint wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:58 am what would you all suggest I do? Thank you :( SM
Provide the output as requested by phd21. At the moment it appears, as if your system does not recognize your burning drive.

BTW: What do you mean with "have downloaded Xfburn"? In Linux system you usually do not download programs, you install them from the Software Manager or the Package Manager Synaptic.
spearmint

Post by spearmint »

phd21 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:37 am Hi spearmint,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

First, help us to help you by providing more information:
It would help to know more about your system setup and to see if your Linux Mint system recognizes the CD/DVD drive. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Is the DVD/CD drive internal or External? Have you ever used it successfully before on this computer with this Linux Mint?

Big +1 for installing "K3b" from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" and all of its recommended and suggested packages (right-click k3b), and "udftools", restart afterward. IMHO, "K3b" is the best DVD/CD application in Linux, but "xfburn" should also work.

If you did not install the 3rd party plugins during the installation of Linux Mint, then you must do that as well through the Welcome screen, or from Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), "mint-meta-codecs" (restart afterward).

Hope this helps ...
Hello phd21,

Hope I got this down right?

Code: Select all

$ inxi -Fxzd
System:    Host: linuxmint Kernel: 4.13.0-39-generic i686 (32 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: OIMERP product: GISD PC Workstation v: 1.0
           Mobo: Intel model: DQ45CB v: AAE30148-303
           Bios: Intel v: CBQ4510H.86A.0119.2010.0223.1522 date: 02/23/2010
CPU:       Dual core Pentium E5300 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
           flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 10401
           clock speeds: max: 2600 MHz 1: 1898 MHz 2: 2490 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1152x864@75.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Q45/Q43 x86/MMX/SSE2
           GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-39-generic
Network:   Card: Intel 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection
           driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: f0e0 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: enp0s25 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (14.6% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST3808110AS size: 80.0GB
           Optical: /dev/sr0 model: TSST DVD-ROM SH-118CB
           rev: SB00 dev-links: cdrom,dvd
           Features: speed: 48x multisession: yes
           audio: yes dvd: yes rw: none state: running
Partition: ID-1: / size: 70G used: 7.2G (11%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.16GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 39.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 168 Uptime: 8 min Memory: 550.5/3904.5MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
kioti@linuxmint ~ $ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 003: ID 258a:0001  
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 046d:c52f Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:818b Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

The DVD/CD drive is internal and It will play DVD with LM.

I will follow the instructions as outlined and see what happens. Thank you for taking the time to assist this SC.

Moderator: added code tags to inxi output.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi spearmint,

You are welcome...

You used the console terminal command correctly, nicely done.

Unfortunately, your DVD/CD is only a player with no writing or "burning" ability at all which is unusual because even on older machines the DVD may be a player only, but would still be able to burn/write CD's? Your current DVD/CD drive will not burn or write CD or DVD discs.

Fortunately, anyone can get a DVD/CD writer / burner at very reasonable costs usually around $20us for either an internal or a USB external drive from places like Amazon.com or Ebay, etc... Most will work well with Linux, but check descriptions and user comments anyway. The USB exernal DVD writer/burner is the easiest option because you do not need to open the computer to install it, just plug it into a USB port.

Drives:

AmazonSmile: LG Electronics 8X USB 2.0 Ultra Slim Portable DVD Rewriter, External Drive with M DISC Support, $20.99us
https://smile.amazon.com/LG-Electronics ... dvd+burner

AmazonSmile: LG Electronics 8X USB 2.0 Super Multi Ultra Slim Portable DVD Writer Drive +/-RW External Drive with M-DISC Support (Black) GP65NB60, $24.34us

Lots of DVD burners - Amazon.com: usb dvd burner
https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no ... dvd+burner

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
spearmint

Post by spearmint »

phd21 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:00 pm Hi spearmint,

You are welcome...

You used the console terminal command correctly, nicely done.

Unfortunately, your DVD/CD is only a player with no writing or "burning" ability at all which is unusual because even on older machines the DVD may be a player only, but would still be able to burn/write CD's? Your current DVD/CD drive will not burn or write CD or DVD discs.

Fortunately, anyone can get a DVD/CD writer / burner at very reasonable costs usually around $20us for either an internal or a USB external drive from places like Amazon.com or Ebay, etc... Most will work well with Linux, but check descriptions and user comments anyway. The USB exernal DVD writer/burner is the easiest option because you do not need to open the computer to install it, just plug it into a USB port.

Drives:

AmazonSmile: LG Electronics 8X USB 2.0 Ultra Slim Portable DVD Rewriter, External Drive with M DISC Support, $20.99us

Hi phd21,

I would say that this matter is/should be solved once I get a CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive installed. FWIW I have a few older IDE types that should take care of the problem. MOBO is SATA so I had to order an IDE/SATA adapter kit for my IDE replacement that will resolve this. If I may, I'll try to update from time to time?

Had some exposure to Linux some years ago with Xandros. So I didn't feel that I could glean very much from LM. So far, I've been pleasantly surprized. Have much to learn and a long way to go. However, What really has kind of won me over are People of the LM Forum & Community that have taken the time to not only show this SC but also to tell him where to go.

Actually looking very much forward to receiving the components and in due time, would like to make LM my #1 OS. :) SM USAF 62-66
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi spearmint,

You are welcome...

Linux Mint and this forum are excellent.

My older computers only had IDE/PATA drive interface no SATA connections, so I had problems because the DVD/CD drives wore out, and I could only find SATA DVD/CD burner writer drives, so I had to get the SATA to IDE/PATA adapter which was less than $10us and worked perfectly for the Asus internal DVD/CD burner/writer drive.

Another good option for DVD/CD/hard drives you may have is to get a USB adapter or USB adpater kit for the 3.5in DVD/CD/hard drives which are around $20us or less.

AmazonSmile: AGPtek SATA/PATA/IDE Drive to USB 2.0 Adapter Converter Cable for Hard Drive Disk HDD 2.5" 3.5" with External AC Power Adapter, $13us
https://smile.amazon.com/AGPtek-Drive-A ... ve+adapter

Amazon.com: usb 3.5in ide pata drive adapter
https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no ... ve+adapter

AmazonSmile: UGREEN USB 2.0 to SATA Adapter Hard Drive Converter Cable for 2.5" 3.5" SATA HDD SSD with 12V 2A Power $15us
https://smile.amazon.com/UGREEN-Adapter ... ve+adapter

AmazonSmile: UGREEN USB 3.0 to SATA Adapter Cable Converter Supports UASP SATA III for 2.5 3.5 Inch Hard Drive Disk HDD and SSD with 12V 2A Power Adapter, $20us

Hope this helps ...
spearmint

Post by spearmint »

phd21 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:40 am Hi spearmint,

You are welcome...

Linux Mint and this forum are excellent.

My older computers only had IDE/PATA drive interface no SATA connections, so I had problems because the DVD/CD drives wore out, and I could only find SATA DVD/CD burner writer drives, so I had to get the SATA to IDE/PATA adapter which was less than $10us and worked perfectly for the Asus internal DVD/CD burner/writer drive.

Another good option for DVD/CD/hard drives you may have is to get a USB adapter or USB adpater kit for the 3.5in DVD/CD/hard drives which are around $20us or less.

AmazonSmile: AGPtek SATA/PATA/IDE Drive to USB 2.0 Adapter Converter Cable for Hard Drive Disk HDD 2.5" 3.5" with External AC Power Adapter, $13us
https://smile.amazon.com/AGPtek-Drive-A ... ve+adapter

Amazon.com: usb 3.5in ide pata drive adapter
https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no ... ve+adapter

AmazonSmile: UGREEN USB 2.0 to SATA Adapter Hard Drive Converter Cable for 2.5" 3.5" SATA HDD SSD with 12V 2A Power $15us

AmazonSmile: UGREEN USB 3.0 to SATA Adapter Cable Converter Supports UASP SATA III for 2.5 3.5 Inch Hard Drive Disk HDD and SSD with 12V 2A Power Adapter, $20us

Hope this helps ...
Hi phd 21,

Needed to purchase the adapter SATA to 3.5 IDE PATA Serial-ATA HDD Converter Power Adapter Cable and vise versa? So hopefully I will be able to use the IDE PATA CD-DVD RW on my MOBO with SATA only.

My older PCs are pretty well set up with the IDE PATA DVD CD RW Writer Drives. This I am presuming that I can use the Older PC's some with AMD processors to experiment with the Desktop Linux's?

Half of my Older PC's have the PS2 connections for keyboard & mouse. So I ordered USB to PS/2 Adapters. Sort of upgraded the devices. :) so I hope this will work out better. Won't have to be looking around for PS2 mice & keyboards.

Purchased Linux for Beginners by Adam Vardy. There are probably other books & better suited accessories out there. It will probably be a few days before the adapters arrive. Appreciate all the input that has been provided by the Community. Thank you all for taking the time to put up with this SC. SM USAF 62-66

Return to “Sound”