system freeze web content app using huge swap

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
benchrest
Level 2
Level 2

system freeze web content app using huge swap

Post by benchrest » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:36 pm

Not sure were to go with this. After updating my system with pulseaudio 1:8.0ubuntu3.9 from 3.8 I have had 3 system freezes. Nothing works but the mouse is herky jerky but buttons don't work.
Ran Top and GKrellM. Failed a bit ago. Both these apps were froze. Kswap0 I think was the current task. I have 8 gb of memory and 8 gb of swap. Memory was down to very little and 1.5gb of swap used. Never seen swap used in a dozen years. Top showed "Web Content" using 9972.8mb of memory.
Looked at Syslog and saw the last thing was pages of messages from Pulseaudio. The first two messages were:
pulseaudio[2746]: [alsa-sink-ALC887-VD Analog] alsa-util.c: snd_pcm_avail() returned a value that is exceptionally large: 343908 bytes (1949 ms)
pulseaudio[2746]: [alsa-sink-ALC887-VD Analog] alsa-util.c: Most likely this is a bug in the ALSA driver 'snd_hda_intel'. Please report this issue to the ALSA developers
Tried to look for pulseaudio bugs. Found launchpad.net with a list of 115 bug watches. None of these seemed to match my symptoms and there didn't seem to be away to enter a new bug. I could use some guidance.
Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3
Firefox 59.0.2
System drive SSD
PulseAudio 1:8.0ubuntu3.9
LM Cinnamon 18.3, ASUS M5A97 R2.0 MB, FX-4100, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256gb, dual 23" monitors. Big user of Gramps, L.O., Unison, Synapse. Entire system on SSD, also WD black 500gb..

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”