system freeze web content app using huge swap

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
benchrest
Level 2
Level 2

system freeze web content app using huge swap

Post by benchrest » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:36 pm

Not sure were to go with this. After updating my system with pulseaudio 1:8.0ubuntu3.9 from 3.8 I have had 3 system freezes. Nothing works but the mouse is herky jerky but buttons don't work.
Ran Top and GKrellM. Failed a bit ago. Both these apps were froze. Kswap0 I think was the current task. I have 8 gb of memory and 8 gb of swap. Memory was down to very little and 1.5gb of swap used. Never seen swap used in a dozen years. Top showed "Web Content" using 9972.8mb of memory.
Looked at Syslog and saw the last thing was pages of messages from Pulseaudio. The first two messages were:
pulseaudio[2746]: [alsa-sink-ALC887-VD Analog] alsa-util.c: snd_pcm_avail() returned a value that is exceptionally large: 343908 bytes (1949 ms)
pulseaudio[2746]: [alsa-sink-ALC887-VD Analog] alsa-util.c: Most likely this is a bug in the ALSA driver 'snd_hda_intel'. Please report this issue to the ALSA developers
Tried to look for pulseaudio bugs. Found launchpad.net with a list of 115 bug watches. None of these seemed to match my symptoms and there didn't seem to be away to enter a new bug. I could use some guidance.
Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3
Firefox 59.0.2
System drive SSD
PulseAudio 1:8.0ubuntu3.9
LM Cinnamon 19, ASUS M5A97 R2.0 MB, FX-4100, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256gb, dual 24" monitors, MSI GEFORCE GTX 1050ti Areo ITX. Big user of Gramps, LibreOffice, Unison. Entire system on SSD, also WD black 500gb for backup.

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”