Inconsistent audio levels in SMPlayer

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rado84

Inconsistent audio levels in SMPlayer

Post by rado84 »

When I play a movie, I noticed that the sound level are inconsistent - voices of characters are too quiet but when there's music or environment sounds (for instance the thunders on "San Andreas" (2015) when the shaking starts), these sounds are so loud that I have to reduce the sould level to very low position which makes hearing the voices of the characters almost impossible. I've set the player's audio output for 2.0 channels (altough my hardware is 2.1) but that doesn't change anything. Am I missing something here?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Inconsistent audio levels in SMPlayer

Post by catweazel »

rado84 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:47 am Am I missing something here?
Options > General > Audio tab > Volume normalisation

Failing that, get yourself a cheap graphic equaliser and sit it on your desk, plug it between the audio out and the speakers or external amplifier.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Sounds like you need a bit of compression and/or limiting. pulseeffects will do that. Read about it here:

https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/05/p ... -wide.html

And download it here:

https://github.com/wwmm/pulseeffects
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I've never found SMplayer to be bdifferent from other media players when it comes to this. Maybe the software you're used to normalized by default?

I use smplayer as my default for video files and have normalization off by default, but for most TV shows or old movies I'll shut it off. They're pretty compressed anyway and normalizing them causes distortion.

Myself, I don't use things like pulseeffects if they have to be installed via ppas. I have very few of those for app software and none for system releated things like this. If it's not in the repos ... ie properly QA tested ... I'm going to assume it's not reliable.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

@catweazel +1 for the volume normalization that is the single most important thing about smplayer that works. OP must be watching some yifi movies that has not been optimized for 2 speakers

vlc has compressor also but doesn't work as good. click the eq button or as they call it extended settings in vlc where you can enable equalizer and compressor
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

trytip wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:56 am... vlc has compressor also but doesn't work as good. ...
VLC doesn't work as well as smplayer anyway. IMO it's the most over rated program I know of. If I still had Windows I'd use VLC there as a music player but for video, no. SMplayer was my default video player in Windows too when I still had it.

I think that some sound quality issues with video playback may be caused by many videos having POUNDING bass levels, esp. when something sinister is about to happen (v. annoying IMO). And a lot of computer speakers can't handle high bass levels without distorting massively. Using a player's built in EQ and cutting the bottom octave down can solve this. Don't know if this applies t you but I think it often does.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

rado84 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:47 am voices of characters are too quiet but when there's music or environment sounds (for instance the thunders on "San Andreas" (2015) when the shaking starts), these sounds are so loud that I have to reduce the sould level to very low position which makes hearing the voices of the characters almost impossible.
I don't think that's an smplayer issue - we have that problem on a lot of movies, esp "action"; when I download a movie or get one from a DVD, I extract the audio and fix it with "audition" (~ audacity) then re-mux it back into the movie (w/ avidemux or ffmpeg/avconv).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Flemur wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:39 pm... I don't think that's an smplayer issue - we have that problem on a lot of movies, esp "action" ....
I don't think it's strictly an smplayer issue either. But that's what the OP was using and I don't think other players would be miuch better. While using audacity to fix levels would work I'm not going to extract and process the audio. Not even for Lord of the Rings.

Some videos have far too low audio levels irrespective of their dynamic range. My accidental solution was to use one of those little Chinese Tripath amps. The gain is ridiculously high ... rated sensitivity of less than half a volt and with audio with normal levels the volume rarely goes above 10:00 ... but that's quite handy for those videos.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Flemur wrote:
I don't think that's an smplayer issue - we have that problem on a lot of movies, esp "action"; when I download a movie or get one from a DVD, I extract the audio and fix it with "audition" (~ audacity) then re-mux it back into the movie (w/ avidemux or ffmpeg/avconv).
I agree. I have the same problem playing DVDs on my stand alone DVD player. Not just on action movies either. With movies with songs in them, the songs are way too loud compared to the dialog. Even the Muppet Movie has this problem. But I will try the suggestion here next time I happen to watch something on SMPlayer.

Return to “Sound”