no sound from speakers in linux 18.3 fresh install

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: no sound from speakers in linux 18.3 fresh install

Post by MrEen »

I'm assuming you meant the hda_analyzer.py is what fixed you? If so, these two lines from it might help:
223 This tool allows change the HDA codec setting using direct hardware access
224 bypassing driver's mixer layer.
I'm guessing the mixer layer is what was messing up your sound.

I'm not much of a scripter so I can't really help any more than that.
govind_rm

Post by govind_rm »

Well I didn't try it actually. It seemed to have work for him. Rather than messing up more, I thought it would be better if I asked someone who know about this.

Thanks for your help MrEen
govind_rm

Post by govind_rm »

guys?? anyone?? help please??
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

govind_rm wrote:guys?? anyone?? help please??
If you were to boot a live session of Linux Mint 19, do you have sound from the speakers?

You've been thorough in your troubleshooting, so I'm running out of options here. :?

Joe
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Found another thing to try. In the terminal, type gksudo xed /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf. Scroll to the bottom of the file and add this line:

Code: Select all

options snd-hda-intel power_save=1
Save the file and reboot.

Hope that helps.
govind_rm

Post by govind_rm »

i had hopes for linux 19 unfortunately it also show same problem during live boot.

As far as changing value of powersaver for audio goes, i have tried that as well.it does increases time for 2 or 3 minutes..then same...

i have tried most options, other than[url][viewtopic.php?t=137917#p903667] this.
but i have no idea what it does or how to do it.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

govind_rm wrote:it does increases time for 2 or 3 minutes..then same...
It's curious that sound works for a bit, then doesn't. Almost as if some hardware was warming up to a failure condition.

Have you confirmed that this behavior only exists in Linux Mint? What happens if you boot to a live session of Ubuntu? Or in a totally different branch of Linux? (e.g., Fedora)

Joe
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Can I see the output of lspci -nn | grep -i audio please.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found what I needed from your list-cards output earlier. Try this: In the terminal, type gksudo xed /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf. If the last line is still still something like options snd-hda-intel ... delete it then add options snd_hda_intel vid=8086 pid=3b56 power_save=0 snoop=0
Now reboot.
mcdaniels

Post by mcdaniels »

Hi folks,
I have the nearly the same problem on a Asus X5EA Notebook. There is no sound coming out from the speakers although the soundmixer is telling me that there should be. Sometimes it helps if I switch from HDMI Output back to the internal speakers.

For me it seems like to work, until I do a restart or a cold start. For example it worked yesterday evening after deleting the pulse audiosettings for 2-3 restarts. Today (after the notebook was shut down) no sound. What a pity, cause all other components are running very well.

It is the same with the latest Linux Mint release.

Thinking of trying Linux Mint DE.

@TO: How long does the sound work after it is disabled?
govind_rm

Post by govind_rm »

MrEen wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:17 pm Can I see the output of lspci -nn | grep -i audio please.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found what I needed from your list-cards output earlier. Try this: In the terminal, type gksudo xed /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf. If the last line is still still something like options snd-hda-intel ... delete it then add options snd_hda_intel vid=8086 pid=3b56 power_save=0 snoop=0
Now reboot.
MrEen that line wasn't there. i tried adding that line,but result was same. sound still exists for few mintues only.
thanks.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

WOW. I thought for sure that would've fixed it. I'm stumped at this point. Sorry.
govind_rm

Post by govind_rm »

thats ok.thanks for your time MrEen. :)

Return to “Sound”