no X-Vid codec

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
monsterman

no X-Vid codec

Post by monsterman »

trying to play some videos but they require the X-Vid codec and VLC and the other Linux mint media players dont have it

tried downloading X-Vid codec but it wont work ????
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: no X-Vid codec

Post by catweazel »

monsterman wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:33 am X-Vid codec

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
monsterman

Post by monsterman »

thanks I will do that
monsterman

Post by monsterman »

that did not work still cant play X-vid codec with VLC or other media players
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Give this a try - I'm pretty sure mint-meta-codecs pull in a few more codecs than ubuntu-restricted-extras.

apt update
apt install mint-meta-codecs
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

While agree that mint-meta-codecs is the right package in Mint rather than ubuntu-restricted-extras, I think it should still have played mp3 audio in VLC.

Especially since VLC like SMplayer which I use, comes with its own codec library. It doesn't matter if you install the restricted codec package with those.

Install mediainfo-gui (it's in the repos), open one of the files that won't play the audio with that, switch it to text mode view and copy/paste the text output of that here (no screenshots please).

ALso remember that many of those videos people dl are encoded by people who have absolutely no idea how encoding works and give problems.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi monsterman,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Can you tell us what video file name extensions you are referring to, like ".avi"?

Did you search the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" for "x-vid", "xvid", video file extension like "avi"?

There are also a few really great multimedia video and audio converters available to convert most video formats into another video format that does play well like mp4, mkv, etc... "WinFF", "Curlew", "FF Multi Converter", "Selene", Transmageddon, etc...

In addition to installing "mint-meta-codecs" and "ubuntu-restricted-extras", you might consider installing "mencoder".

+1 for installing the excellent SMplayer multimedia player as well.

Noobslab - another excellent Linux website - This article on SMplayer and MPV 2017
http://www.noobslab.com/2017/01/install ... -1710.html

To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rvm/smplayer

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mc3man/mpv-tests

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install mpv smplayer smtube  youtube-dl
or for added smplayer themes and skins

sudo apt-get install mpv smplayer smtube smplayer-themes smplayer-skins youtube-dl

- Might not hurt to install a more current version of "ffmpeg" v3.x
To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jonathonf/ffmpeg-3

sudo apt update

sudo apt install ffmpeg libav-tools x264 x265

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

phd21 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:30 am To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rvm/smplayer

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mc3man/mpv-tests

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install mpv smplayer smtube  youtube-dl
Why in the hell are you telling someone on Mint 18.3 to install a ppa version pf something when the repo version woirks perfectly well? The only meaningful change in the changelog is experimental, ie. unklikely to work very well.

If the OP was on 17.3 I could see it because HEVC hadn't been implemented yet but not 18.x, and BTW nooblslab is complete rubbish, like most Linux blogs.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI monsterman, "Hoser Rob", etc...

I am providing options for other users of Linux Mint and it is up to them to decide whether to use them or not.

It is common knowledge to most Linux Mint users that you should always try to find and or install software from the
Linux Mint Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) first, before installing software from outside the Mint repos. But, it is also common knowledge that some software in the Mint repositories aka Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) are not current and it could take months or longer (years) before they become current, if ever.

I think "noobslab" and "webupd8" are some of the best Linux websites available for learning about various Linux software and Linux systems and they also have software repositories with software and updated software that are not available in Linux Mint repositories. Does this mean they are "unsafe" to install or use? Not at all, but with any new software, backup first or take a "snapshot", and install at your own risk. There is software within the Linux Mint Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) that can also "break" your Linux Mint system if you are not careful. I have been using these websites and software from them since I started using Linux years ago. And, anyone can always ask, is this particular software from this particular place safe to install and use?

SMPlayer 18.2.2 Released, Install In Ubuntu/Linux Mint Via PPA - NoobsLab
https://www.noobslab.com/2018/02/smplay ... ll-in.html

Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog
http://www.webupd8.org/

Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Sound”