Video Playback Error in YouTube:

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ststech

Video Playback Error in YouTube:

Post by ststech »

I am receiving a video playback error in YouTube. I have tried several common fixes including clearing my web browser cache and cookies, trying a different web browser, installing pepperflash and the browser plugin and restarting my machine.

Nothing seems to be working. The issue does not present itself on any other computer. I am using Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia LTS and I own a Thinkpad T430 laptop computer. This just started happening a few days ago. The problem is back again. Any Ideas?

I will wait patiently to hear back. I am hoping to avoid blowing away my Mint install if at all possible.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Video Playback Error in YouTube:

Post by catweazel »

ststech wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:36 pm I will wait patiently to hear back.
You'll be waiting a very long time if you don't specify what the error message is or the symptoms of the problem.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

At first remove pepperflash.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

What browsers? Chrome (not chromium) has the best Linux Flash support because they have a deal with Adobe.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
ststech

Post by ststech »

catweazel wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:04 am
ststech wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:36 pm I will wait patiently to hear back.
You'll be waiting a very long time if you don't specify what the error message is or the symptoms of the problem.
No problem. I am using the latest version of chromium web browser in Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia LTS and this also happens in Vivaldi which is based on chromium.

The error message states as follows "Your browser does not recognize any of the video formats available. It does seem to be a codec issue. I do have Pepper Flash installed with the browser plugin still. I have not yet removed that.
ststech

Post by ststech »

Hoser Rob wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:35 am What browsers? Chrome (not chromium) has the best Linux Flash support because they have a deal with Adobe.
I will see if Chrome works any better. I know Adobe Flash support is baked into Google Chrome. I was using Chromium for it's FOSS mentality of course. After all this is Linux. It's also happening in Vivaldi; I had just noticed.
ststech

Post by ststech »

administrollaattori wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:19 am At first remove pepperflash.
Okay I removed pepperflash with the pepperflash browser plugin, cleared my web history cache cookies etc. and tried again. The problem remains. The error message is essentially the web browser doesn't recognize the video format.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

do you have chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi ststech,

As was already stated, please provide us a link to the YouTube video you are having a problem with, and a screenshot of the error or message you are getting.

I also have the "chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra" and "pepperflashplugin-nonfree" installed and I have no issues playing videos in Chrome and rarely in Slimjet (Chrome based).
Last edited by phd21 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i just use the official chrome. believe it or not it actually respects the user and with a few UNticks is just like chromium. chrome gets better development no issues with videos and no need for extra codecs
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Is x264 installed?

Code: Select all

apt-cache policy x264
https://html5test.com/

Return to “Sound”