[fixed]no sound

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yonnie
Level 3
Level 3

[fixed]no sound

Post by yonnie »

I have a Dell e520. Just installed 18.3 xfce. I'm not hearing any system sounds and no music, actually nothing at all. inxi -Fxi reports I have a Creative Labs SB X-Fi audio card.

Does this card prevent sound from coming out the normal routes? Head phones jack in front doesn't seem to work, the green line-out in rear panel doesn't seem to work either. The SB board jacks are too small for a normal audio jack to test.

If I get the correct pkg installed and find the correct speakers for this card, can I expect it to work? What pkg do I need to install?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
We are children of children and do as we are shown.
-James Curran
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: no sound

Post by catweazel »

yonnie wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:43 am I'm not hearing any system sounds and no music, actually nothing at all.
Install pavucontrol and make sure the default output sound device is selected.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

what do you get for this in terminal?
pacmd list-sinks | sed -n "/^.*name:/s/.*<\(.*\)>.*/\1/p"
yonnie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by yonnie »

trytip wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:48 am what do you get for this in terminal?
pacmd list-sinks | sed -n "/^.*name:/s/.*<\(.*\)>.*/\1/p"
I get alsa_output.pci-0000_03_03.0.analog-stereo

and to answer the previous, pavucontrol was already installed, so i added pavumeter
-James Curran
yonnie
Level 3
Level 3

[fixed]Re: no sound

Post by yonnie »

not sure what I did, I installed a few things that had sound blaster and multimedia in it and then I tried removing the sound blaster card. Then I realized the card cage was preventing the 3.5mm plug from plugging in. The onboard (Mobo) sound jacks are disabled and the panel on the front of the computer has a cable that plugs only into the sound blaster card, so there is no easy way to remove the SB card without crippling the front user interface.

Sound seems to be working after installing one or more items discovered in Synaptics. Don't know which.
-James Curran

Return to “Sound”