[partially SOLVED] audacity menus are missing (play/stop/etc...)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
doronba
Level 2
Level 2

[partially SOLVED] audacity menus are missing (play/stop/etc...)

Post by doronba »

[partially SOLVED - a hint : audacity does not work well in hebrew installation]

I am a first time user with Audacity,
Its Audacity version 2.1.2, instaled from Synaptics.
I am using a fresh install of Linux mint 18.3 64bit Cinnamon.

Audacity does not show the most basic toolbar (the one with PLAY/STOP/BACK/FORWARD/etc...)
and actually it looks and acts weird in general, I mean that when I uploaded an audio file it did not show the sound waves at all, and just when I hovered above that area it started to show it.

It might be because my Linux Mint installation is in Hebrew (right to left).
Changing the interface's language to English (as you'll see in the images below) does not change anything.
Does anybody know what I should do ?

Here is how it looks like : https://imgur.com/3lFJgno
And here are the active toolbars (excuse me for the quality, couldn't take a screenshot while showing the toolbars) : https://imgur.com/PTlcYVr

Thanks
Doronba
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: audacity menus are missing (play/stop/etc...)

Post by MrEen »

Hi doronba. In Audacity, click on View > Toolbars > Transport Toolbar

Hope that helps.
doronba
Level 2
Level 2

Post by doronba »

Thank you for your answer.
It did not change a thing,

I edited the original post, adding 2 links for screenshots.

I am still waiting for an answer...
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

From the same menu, have you tried Reset Toolbars?
doronba
Level 2
Level 2

Post by doronba »

Yes, I have tried that.
no visible change.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Try creating a temporary new user in Users and Groups
Log out as your current user and log back in as the new user.
Does Audacity display normally there?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
doronba
Level 2
Level 2

Post by doronba »

nop,
i created new user, i logged out, i logged in to the new user, audacity looks the same.
hrmcrm

Post by hrmcrm »

On my 18.3 KDE system, in Audacity, under View -> Toolbars, everything is selected except Combined Meter Toolbar and Spectral Selection Toolbar. All controls show that you state are missing. Are the same toolbars checked for yours?

I see in the screenshot that the menu bar entries are reversed compared to an English installation, so as you mentioned, it may be the Hebrew installation that is causing the issue.

Just out of curiosity, when the sound wave started to display, did it have time=0 at the right?
doronba
Level 2
Level 2

Post by doronba »

hrmcrm,

1. the same toolbars are selected except for these two that you mentioned.

2. yep, the menus are reversed, because of the hebrew rtl installation, and when i change the interface language it just changes the language of the menus as you can see.

3. here are two more screenshots (taken by my smartphone) :
a. after opening new audio file, it almost doesnt show the sound waves, just the very first microsecond : https://imgur.com/hKV9DcM
b. after i hover with the cursor above the area of the 'no sound waves', where you can see a green triangle,
only then, it shows some of the sound waves : https://imgur.com/Xg6kMOh

4. yes, i believe that it has to do with the hebrew installation, and now the question becomes whether it will be possible to use Audacity with my system as it is or not (???#$%#??).

5. another weird thing just happend today, since i opened yesterday the new user and opened audacity in it, Audacity does not open at all in my main user. confused ?#$% (excuse me for language)

Thanks,
doronba
hrmcrm

Post by hrmcrm »

doronba wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:56 am4. yes, i believe that it has to do with the hebrew installation, and now the question becomes whether it will be possible to use Audacity with my system as it is or not (???#$%#??).
Could be cumbersome. A thread from the end of last year on the Audacity forum https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopi ... 5&p=339768 states
the "right to left" problem is still far from solved
and that was for a Windows version, so the Audacity rtl problem is not just in Linux.
Last edited by hrmcrm on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

doronba wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:28 pm(excuse me for the quality, couldn't take a screenshot while showing the toolbars)
Start your screen-cap program, e.g.

Code: Select all

xfce4-screenshooter
and then set the delay, say 10 seconds, then get the toolbar showing in 10 seconds.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

audacity has really bad interface on linux mint or arch linux trying to select an output from Audio Device toolbar )the 2nd from the bottom where you can select ALSA) is all scrambled. you can try different themes maybe one will fit your needs
if audacity doesn't start delete .audacity-data folder from home
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi doronba,

I have Audacity working perfectly in Linux Mint 18.3, but I used a PPA to install and keep it updated, see link below.

How to Install Audacity 2.2.2 via PPA in Ubuntu 17.10, 16.04 | UbuntuHandbook
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... ntu-17-10/

This PPA works for all editions of Linux Mint 17.x, 18.x, & 19.x (64-bit and 32-bit)

To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/audacity

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install audacity

If you still have a problem, close audacity and try removing the user configuration file using the console terminal command below and just restart audacity.

rm -r ~/.audacity-data

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
doronba
Level 2
Level 2

Post by doronba »

ok, thank you all for your answers,

1. it indeed might be the rtl problem.
2. i deleted audacity via synaptics, i deleted audacity data cfg from home folder.
3. i installed audacity 2.2.2 from ppa. looks the same...
4. the problem of not being able to access audacity from my main user, and just from the second user is still remaining.
5. i will install linux mint again, in english. then, i will change the interface to hebrew. let's see what happens. thank god that i have a dedicated home partition.

a question : after reinstalling, will i lose the other user account that i opened ? i do want to delete it, but somehow the optin does not exist in users menu, and via terminal using $ $ sudo deluser it dd not do anything.

PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR NOT USING CAPITAL LETTERS IN THE BEGINNING OF SENTENCES,
WE DON'T HAVE IT IN HEBREW AND I HATE THE FUSS.... :-)
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

before drastic measures what errors you get running audacity in terminal ?

if you don't have a separate root/home/ installation when you re-install everything will be gone

ps: i don't use CAPS in forums unless i need to scream or grab your attention towards a setting or menu option :D
doronba
Level 2
Level 2

Post by doronba »

guys,
thank you for your cooperation and help.
i did a reinstall, few times, until i got to an acceptable option : system is in english, local is is in hebrew. so i will have to live with these menus in english.
but now audacity works as it should, and now my project is to learn the software.
i am working on my digital course and as a one man show, i am the photographer and the soundman and the editor....
again, thanks for your time.
i'll consider it partially solved, as it does not work in RTL system.

Return to “Sound”