Media Server - What to use?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Media Server - What to use?

Post by lsemmens »

I decided to go without a media server and just set up a heap of launchers on the desktop. They, then, open Firefox to the appropriate website or Nemo to the appropriate folder as necessary. Wife VERY happy. :D

Thanks again folks, it was an interesting diversion.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi lsemmens, & Anyone Else Interested in this,

1.) I updated my instructions from my reply for installing UMS which works great.

2.) Plex works great as well with local media folders, and if you mount external drives using "Disks" application or manually editing the "fstab" file, then you can access those external drive's media folders as well.

New to linux, how do I use an external drive? - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=274053&p=1501805#p1501805

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Thanks for the updates, when I finish my current round of home renovations I may need to look into this all again. Second son has presented her with fetch TV and Google box, so the computer will be redundant when I get the server DNLA compiant, which is all the Fetch Box needs apparently.

Speaking of renos; Thread drift. I installed a new oven and cooktop last Thursday, Whilst installing the new range hood, I made a miss-step with my big fat foot and managed to smash my nice new induction cooktop! It had only been used ONCE!
Fully mint Household
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi lsemmens,

You are welcome...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Wife was given a Fetch TV box for her birthday, so I've bitten the bullet and set up Plex for her. A bit of stuffing around and renaming a few thousand files and all seems well. Thanks for your assistance all.
Fully mint Household

Return to “Sound”