Hiface (one/white) driver

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Frédéric

Hiface (one/white) driver

Post by Frédéric »

Hello, I have used an hiface interface between my PC and DAC for years under linuxmint 13. I have bought a new PC and install linuxmint 18 and I would like to use my old hiface but I cant find the instruction that should be written on a terminal to get the driver. hiface two doesnot neet to install driver but hiface one does.
The "sound" window of mint shows 2 outputs HDMI and USB/SPDIF. The output test is ok for HDMI and mute for SPDIF. In a terminal, Alsamixer, F6 allows to select "Hiface" but then says in french "le peripherique n'a pas de commande" that I would translate by "device has no control (or no driver ? or no order???). I can't find on the net this instruction lines that I must write on the terminal to load hiface driver. Is there someone around that would kindly help me ?!

Many thanks
Frédéric
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Hiface (one/white) driver

Post by MrEen »

Hi Frédéric, and welcome to the forum. Take a look at the output of lsmod | grep '^snd' | column -t run in the terminal. If you don't see snd_usb_hiface in the list, then sudo modprobe snd-usb-hiface is the terminal command you were looking for most likely.
Frédéric

Post by Frédéric »

Hello Mreen, thank you for your help and sorry for my late answer... I have just tried what you proposed and this is a copy of the terminal. Can you figure something out of this !

frederic@PCsalon ~ $ lsmod | grep '^snd' | column -t
snd_usb_hiface 20480 0
snd_hda_codec_hdmi 49152 1
snd_hda_codec_realtek 98304 1
snd_hda_codec_generic 73728 1 snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_intel 40960 3
snd_hda_codec 126976 4 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_core 81920 5 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hwdep 20480 1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm 98304 5 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_core,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_usb_hiface
snd_seq_midi 16384 0
snd_seq_midi_event 16384 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_rawmidi 32768 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 65536 2 snd_seq_mifrederic@PCsalon ~ $ lsmod | grep '^snd' | column -t
snd_usb_hiface 20480 0
snd_hda_codec_hdmi 49152 1
snd_hda_codec_realtek 98304 1
snd_hda_codec_generic 73728 1 snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_intel 40960 3
snd_hda_codec 126976 4 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_core 81920 5 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hwdep 20480 1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm 98304 5 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_core,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_usb_hiface
snd_seq_midi 16384 0
snd_seq_midi_event 16384 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_rawmidi 32768 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 65536 2 snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_device 16384 3 snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_midi
snd_timer 32768 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd 81920 18 snd_hda_intel,snd_hwdep,snd_seq,snd_hda_codec,snd_timer,snd_rawmidi,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_seq_device,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_pcm,snd_usb_hiface
frederic@PCsalon ~ $ sudo modprobe snd-usb-hiface
frederic@PCsalon ~ $ di_event,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_device 16384 3 snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_midi
snd_timer 32768 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd 81920 18 snd_hda_intel,snd_hwdep,snd_seq,snd_hda_codec,snd_timer,snd_rawmidi,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_seq_device,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_pcm,snd_usb_hiface
frederic@PCsalon ~ $ sudo modprobe snd-usb-hiface
frederic@PCsalon ~ $
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

All right. The Hiface driver is loading properly, so that's good. I have no experience with such a device, which is not so good.

My first suggestion is to install and run PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol) and go to the Configuration tab (farthest on the right.) Hopefully, you'll find somewhere on that tab your Hiface device (which my searching tells me uses SPDIF) and it just needs a settings change.

If things look good on that tab, move two tabs left to the Output Devices tab and play around with the settings there, making sure your device is not muted and the volume is sufficient.

Finally, move two tabs farther to the left to the Playback tab and watch it while you start something with sound on your computer. Do you hear anything? Do you see movement on the tab indicating sound is playing?

If it looks like it is playing sound, but you don't hear anything, continue playing something and type in the terminal pacmd list-sinks and paste the results back here.

When pasting large blocks of text like this please enclose the results in-between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply.

Good luck.

P.S. This site might be helpful once you get working sound .
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

If aplay -l lists your Hiface device, you might be able to set your music player of choice to use it. For example, in SMPlayer, click on Options > Preferences > Audio tab > Output driver: <-- change pulse to Hiface.

Hope that helps.

Return to “Sound”