some help would be welcome!!!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
getaway
Level 3
Level 3

some help would be welcome!!!

Post by getaway »

I've been having constant troubles with the audio system of my laptop for a few weeks now.
Troubles began when I tried to upgrade from 18.3 to 19 and at the same time tried to use a JBL extrem bluetooth speaker.
I tried a lot of things around alsa, pulseaudio, bluetooth (removing, reinstalling, restarting...), returning to 18.3 using timeshift... Everythings according to what I was understanding from my readings or was been told on this forum.
From this experience, my general feeling is that these subsystems are very unstable (at least on my computer...). Things working well for a time didn't work at all after rebooting. And then, sometimes, after a lot of new trials to fix, started to work again, more or less...

The problem is also that I'm not an expert... More of a newby... In that chase for the anomaly, I feel like a blind person at everything I try. Most of what I do, I don't understand at all.
Could anybody tell me about some links to tutos or knowledge base to better understand what is supposed to happen beetwen Alsa, Pulseaudio and Bluetooth? Where and how can I read status of things and objects?

Practically, just now I've lost the audio Icon in the status bar of the laptop (down right the screen) for 2 or 3 days and I found nothing to make it reappearing... Yesterday evening, the bluetooth speakers were working, but not the internal one. Today it's the contrary... The internal ones work with rythmbox but the sound test from the audio window doesn't work! The bluetooth speakers are connected, but don't appear in the audio window and remain silent...
Could anybody be interested in this mess???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linuxmint Cinnamon Tricia 19.3 64 bits
Asus UX430U
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: some help would be welcome!!!

Post by MrEen »

Hello again, getaway. I recently lost my volume icon and apt install indicator-sound brought it back.

Here are some of my bookmarks regarding sound:

ALSA - Debian Wiki

PulseAudio - ArchWiki

SoundTroubleshooting - Community Help Wiki

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture/Troubleshooting - ArchWiki

These are the more general bookmarks I have. I have a lot more that are specific to one problem. Most were found with searches such as linux headphones not working or ubuntu speakers crunching. For us, using ubuntu in the search often means the instructions to solve the issue are exactly the same in Mint (and you'll find a lot more results for fixing Ubuntu than you will for Mint.) The only caveat can be the age of the result (i.e. solutions for Ubuntu versions older than xenial may not work or file locations may have changed.)

I have never had bluetooth on any of my computers so I don't have any bookmarks on that subject. Forum moderator JeremyB is very knowledgeable on the subject (as I'm sure many others are.) I just clicked on Advanced search (looks like a cog on the right of the search bar), typed bluetooth for keyword, and JeremyB for author and got 1312 matches here: search.php?keywords=bluetooth&terms=all ... mit=Search

Reading through a few pages of those posts might help learning a little about the subject.

Good luck. :)
getaway
Level 3
Level 3

Re: some help would be welcome!!!

Post by getaway »

I actually do thank you MrEen.
This post just witnessed a bit of determent...
I'll read through the links you gave me.
And I'll stick to linux, even if I don't very well understand why :(

As a matter of fact, the icon reappeared in my notification barr... And I'm not even sure why :cry: :cry: :cry:
Just now, sound is running ok except for the bluetooth things....

I do thank you again
Linuxmint Cinnamon Tricia 19.3 64 bits
Asus UX430U

Return to “Sound”