? about converting video format: high quality --> low back to high

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Frldyz

? about converting video format: high quality --> low back to high

Post by Frldyz »

I'm in the process of burning all our DVD's into the computer.
The original format can be pretty big in size. Anywhere from 2gb - 7gb.

I want to get as many videos on our tablets as possible so I've changed the format with a video editor from:
MP4--> WMV to reduce the file size.

Now I assume by doing this I loose some quality in the video is that right?

Now in the future if I want to reformat back from a .WMV --MP4 is this possible?
Will I regain the original video format?

Or once its re-formated to a lesser quality is there no going back?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: ? about converting video format: high quality --> low back to high

Post by all41 »

Or once its re-formated to a lesser quality is there no going back
True gospel
If you want absolute 1:1 then save dvd as .iso
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Once you format to a lesser quality, there IS no going back. Think of it like a meal, once you have eaten it, there is no way of eating that same meal again. Keep your original files in a safe spot in case you want to red in higher quality later.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI Frldyz

How are you burning your DVD's into digital formats? MakeMKV is one of the best DVD / Blu-Ray rippers to backup your DVD / Blu-Ray disc collection and or to convert them into video files (.mkv).

You can use one of many various video (multi-media) converters as well as video editors to convert video into other formats. Which video editor are you using for this? Examples of multimedia (video) converters: "WinFF", "FF Multi Converter", "Curlew", Handbrake, Avidemux, Selene, Transmageddon, etc...

You can experiment to see which video file format produces the smaller file. I found that MKV is usually smaller than MP4.

Just converting one format into another format does not necessarily mean a loss of quality. Changing the video's resolution will save the most space, for example from HD 4k or HD 1080p to 720p, which should be no problem for tablets.

AFAIK, You cannot enlarge videos (increase resolution) that have been converted to get the original quality.

Recommend saving the original DVD / Blu-Ray disc into the best quality video files and convert them when needed for whatever devices you want to run them on like Tablets or portable DVD players or smartphones, etc.... You can get or use a large USB hard drive to store the original larger ripped video files from the DVD/Blu-Ray discs or get a Blu-Ray Burner writer and burn the video files onto 25gb-100gb Blu-Ray discs in "Data" mode.

There are some really good articles on the Internet and in this forum regarding this.

MakeMKV & Handbrake
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/rip-dvds-b ... -platform/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jUh7hbe4Yc

The Hassle-Free Guide to Ripping Your Blu-Ray Collection
https://lifehacker.com/5559007/the-hass ... collection

How to Rip Blu-Ray Discs With MakeMKV and Handbrake
https://www.howtogeek.com/161498/how-to ... ollection/

How to Rip (Copy) DVDs to Your Computer's Hard Drive (7 Easy Ways)
https://www.easytechguides.com/rip-dvds.html

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Frldyz

Post by Frldyz »

phd21 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:53 pm HI Frldyz

How are you burning your DVD's into digital formats? MakeMKV is one of the best DVD / Blu-Ray rippers to backup your DVD / Blu-Ray disc collection and or to convert them into video files (.mkv).

You can use one of many various video (multi-media) converters as well as video editors to convert video into other formats. Which video editor are you using for this? Examples of multimedia (video) converters: "WinFF", "FF Multi Converter", "Curlew", Handbrake, Avidemux, Selene, Transmageddon, etc...

You can experiment to see which video file format produces the smaller file. I found that MKV is usually smaller than MP4.

Just converting one format into another format does not necessarily mean a loss of quality. Changing the video's resolution will save the most space, for example from HD 4k or HD 1080p to 720p, which should be no problem for tablets.

AFAIK, You cannot enlarge videos (increase resolution) that have been converted to get the original quality.

Recommend saving the original DVD / Blu-Ray disc into the best quality video files and convert them when needed for whatever devices you want to run them on like Tablets or portable DVD players or smartphones, etc.... You can get or use a large USB hard drive to store the original larger ripped video files from the DVD/Blu-Ray discs or get a Blu-Ray Burner writer and burn the video files onto 25gb-100gb Blu-Ray discs in "Data" mode.

There are some really good articles on the Internet and in this forum regarding this.

MakeMKV & Handbrake
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/rip-dvds-b ... -platform/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jUh7hbe4Yc

The Hassle-Free Guide to Ripping Your Blu-Ray Collection
https://lifehacker.com/5559007/the-hass ... collection

How to Rip Blu-Ray Discs With MakeMKV and Handbrake
https://www.howtogeek.com/161498/how-to ... ollection/

How to Rip (Copy) DVDs to Your Computer's Hard Drive (7 Easy Ways)
https://www.easytechguides.com/rip-dvds.html

Hope this helps ...
I use Wondershare Ultimate video converter.

I purchased the lifetime license.
Really like it.

**So ideally burn to 1 location in the best quality regardless of size format.

Then if I want them in another format and reduce the size and quality. Burn to a 2nd location for the new format?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI Frldyz,
Frldyz wrote:I use Wondershare Ultimate video converter. I purchased the lifetime license. Really like it.
I thought Wondershare only works with Mac or MS Windows operating systems?

MakeMKV works great in Linux, and it is fast and free for DVD discs and Blu-Ray discs (limited to 720p), but for Blu-Ray original HD quality there is a onetime reasonable price like $50 (well worth it).
Frldyz wrote:**So ideally burn to 1 location in the best quality regardless of size format. Then if I want them in another format and reduce the size and quality. Burn to a 2nd location for the new format?
If you have a large enough drive, you can put both the larger original video files and the converted smaller video files to that drive.

A lot of people including me convert DVD and Blu-Ray discs into digital video file formats for backup and for use with a media server which then streams them using DLNA/UPnP from the servers larger hard drive to any device (tablets, smart TV's, TV sticks, smartphones, smart blu-ray players, game consoles, etc...) within the network or WiFi range; this means those devices don't need to have larger storage nor do the videos require being converted into smaller sizes. With a portable travel router (with media server and USB port for USB drive/Stick), you can even stream to single or multiple devices while traveling in a car, truck, RV, at hotels/motels, vacation rentals, etc...

FYI: You do not need to keep a person's previous text in your new reply unless you are making point for point comments...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Frldyz

Post by Frldyz »

phd21 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:09 pm HI Frldyz,
Frldyz wrote:I use Wondershare Ultimate video converter. I purchased the lifetime license. Really like it.
I thought Wondershare only works with Mac or MS Windows operating systems?

MakeMKV works great in Linux, and it is fast and free for DVD discs and Blu-Ray discs (limited to 720p), but for Blu-Ray original HD quality there is a onetime reasonable price like $50 (well worth it).
Frldyz wrote:**So ideally burn to 1 location in the best quality regardless of size format. Then if I want them in another format and reduce the size and quality. Burn to a 2nd location for the new format?
I

I also have several windows machines.
Wondershare is on my Windows

MakeMKV? This is similar to Wondershare but for Linux?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI Frldyz,

Yes, MakeMKV is free and works in Linux and rips DVD/Blu-Ray discs into digital video files like "video.mkv" which can be played on any computer, tablet, smartphones, smart TV, etc... read the links I provided in my previous replies... A typical DVD can be ripped into a video file(s) in 15 - 30 minutes or less. If you or anyone else can afford to pay for this excellent application, then please support the developer.

To install MakeMKV using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right-click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command, restart afterward. After entering in registration code, I had to restart MakeMKV (claims it didn't like the registration code), in Linux Mint 19 three times before it seemed to take, but it is working well as usual.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:heyarje/makemkv-beta

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install makemkv-bin makemkv-oss
Current registration activation code for MakeMKV

T-LW1uLLbYkVG@LRXgUx8eZlPSc5XtHUoGDg9My9NgOMC@2jNEQjvNY4zLxK8E0YduZT
MakeMKV is free while in beta
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

Media Servers, like a Linux Mint computer running media server software or a router with media server software, can stream from its hard drive or attached drives all your videos, music, pictures, to any other computer using any operating system or to Tablets, Smart TV's, smart Blu-Ray players, TV sticks, smartphones, game consoles, etc... and everyone can watch whatever they want.

Return to “Sound”