Firefox Not Playing Some Videos

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LarryT

Firefox Not Playing Some Videos

Post by LarryT »

Hi, it seems Firefox will not play some videos, only get the audio with no ability to pause. Any ideas?
Thanks, LarryT
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Firefox Not Playing Some Videos

Post by Flemur »

LarryT wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:33 amAny ideas?
Which videos, which firefox, which Mint, which video card, which add-ons, and what happens when you do the standard firefox debugging steps?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
LarryT

Post by LarryT »

This Video: https://www.jaguars.com/video/inside-a- ... h-standard
This Firefox: 61.0.1 (64-bit)
This Mint: Tara LM19
This Video Card: NVIDIA Corporation GF108GLM [Quadro 1000M]

Hope that helps. LarryT
LarryT

Post by LarryT »

Not sure what you mean by standard Firefox debugging steps, I tried the few I know of, even tried to open them on my Android tablet where they work just fine in Firefox.
LarryT
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

LarryT wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:44 pm This Video: https://www.jaguars.com/video/inside-a- ... h-standard
This Firefox: 61.0.1 (64-bit)

FWIW,
that video does not play with my FF either, I see a static screen with audio commentator talking.

then I tried to install the Video Codecs from the Menu

and NADA, still just audio, no video.

So, I copied the link and tried on Chromium, it does not have Video.
I think it is just a bunch of sound clips.

so then, I brought up Qupzilla and it shows a Flash Symbol, so it must be FLASH, and FF and Flash don't do well.

so, I added the YouTube Video Flash Player, and NADA, still no video.

so, I then added the Flash video play for Facebook, still no video.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
LarryT

Post by LarryT »

I tried to get it to work by going into 'safe mode' but still no luck. I also tried to set Flash to 'Always Activate' but no luck there as well.
LarryT
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI LarryT,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Did you check to make sure your DRM is checked in the Firefox preferences (might need to restart browser after some changes)? Sometimes refreshing the webpage will help too.

I just tried my Firefox (v60) and it worked, but not just going to the webpage link, I had to click the "Inside a minute" video link below and then it played. Chrome worked as well, "Slimjet" worked, my Opera did not?

I always have more than one browser installed for various good reasons, and one of those is that if a webpage and its content are not working in one browser I can try another.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I added a check in the box for DRM, but that did not make any video play with Firefox.
as I mentioned, Chromium and Qupzilla also refuse to play any video from that website.

18.3 Cinnamon.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:14 am I added a check in the box for DRM, but that did not make any video play with Firefox.
as I mentioned, Chromium and Qupzilla also refuse to play any video from that website.

18.3 Cinnamon.
They also won't play on FF in KDE Neon, nor in the SlimJet browser.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

If you look at the javascript console while opening that page it just gets spammed with cross-origin-policy violations and blocked content due to it. It's probably just a bad website. Doesn't play in any of my browsers. I'm not crazy enough to have flash installed.
LarryT

Post by LarryT »

Thanks All, it's weird because the NFL supplies all the page templates so you would think they would be on the lookout for javascript errors. Maybe if they get enough complaints, they will do something about it!
LarryT
gm10

Post by gm10 »

LarryT wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:09 am Thanks All, it's weird because the NFL supplies all the page templates so you would think they would be on the lookout for javascript errors. Maybe if they get enough complaints, they will do something about it!
LarryT
In case it helps, Firefox plays videos on the NFL site just fine: https://www.nfl.com/videos
LarryT

Post by LarryT »

Hey gm10, apparently not as this version of FF will not play those videos. Perhaps I should have not upgraded to the new version but no way to go back now. I'll send a note to FF and let them know about it. :!:
LarryT
gm10

Post by gm10 »

It's not Firefox or the version (I've got an even newer one than you, v62). The video doesn't play when you load the page - on none of my browsers - you only get audio, but once you switch to another one it plays just fine. I'm sure it also will for you.

PS: The site still produces loads of errors in the logs, but less than the embedded version you linked in the OP. Guess the NFL can't afford a proper web designer.
LarryT

Post by LarryT »

Hey gm10,
I think you are right about the NFL can't afford a proper web designer.
LarryT
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

LarryT wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:00 pmNot sure what you mean by standard Firefox debugging steps,
Running from terminal to see messages, running without addons, rename ~/.mozilla, delete ~/.cache/mozilla.

Anyway, I couldn't see that video either (I have the DRM stuff running for netflix).

But here's a trick: look up the title on youtube:
"Inside a Minute: A high standard " --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laz1bUZtAqg = the same video, at least it has the same caption under it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Sound”