[SOLVED] Hdmi problem

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Hdmi problem

Post by MrEen »

Well. I think I found a fix.

WARNING: Some users reported higher power usage after running this as well as HDMI issues resuming from suspend. This also assumes it's the nvidia card that's running your HDMI. I can not test this myself. Users reading this should not attempt this fix just because their HDMI sound isn't working as it's explicitly for the OP who doesn't have HDMI sound detected at all.

1. Download this file and extract it's contents. Everything that follows is done in the terminal.
2. Change to the directory where you extracted the files, eg. cd Downloads
3. make
4. sudo make install
5. echo nvhda | sudo tee -a /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
6. echo "options nvhda load_state=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/nvhda.conf
7. sudo update-initramfs -u
8. Now reboot your computer.

I do think this will work for you, and I hope it doesn't cause any new issues. There was a completely successful use of this by a person running 18.2 and I see no reason for it to not work on 19. Here is a link to their post: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75985#c33

You may have to use pavucontrol after the reboot to adjust settings, but even that might not be necessary.

Good luck.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

In case the warning made it seem too risky, here's another potential solution. It does pretty much carry the same warning though, although there's nothing to download.

This post has the "fix" but also scroll down to post #24 for the better path to use.
grivusag

Post by grivusag »

Hello MrEen,
I've downloaded the file. Extract the files and follow the commands on terminal and i'm getting this:
Screenshot from 2018-09-10 00-52-46.png
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Does Makefile and nvhad.c exist in your Downloads folder?
grivusag

Post by grivusag »

Yes are into the folder nvhda.

I've followed the last post: Comment 19 for bug 1377653 and i've resolved the problem.
Screenshot from 2018-09-10 01-12-29.png
Just created the files as in the post and add the commands and restart.

Thank you very much for your time and help MrEen.
Without your help I wasn't able to fix that.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: [SOLVED] Hdmi problem

Post by MrEen »

Fantastic!!! It only took us 5 weeks to get it sorted out. :lol:

I'm so happy you're fixed! And more than happy to have helped.
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

Post by OunceofCommonSense »

I solved in this way:
sudo gedit /etc/pulse/default.pa
commented out this line(put # in front) --> load-module module-switch-on-port-available
Saved
then reboot. Now it works fine.
MB: Gigabyte model: B650M AORUS ELITE AX Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 32.00 GB. CPU Ryzen7600x Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Linux Mint 21.2
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

OunceofCommonSense wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:21 pm I solved in this way:
sudo gedit /etc/pulse/default.pa
commented out this line(put # in front) --> load-module module-switch-on-port-available
Saved
then reboot. Now it works fine.
Where's the fun in that??? You don't get to spend weeks trying all sorts of different fixes. :wink:

Also, this wasn't a case of not switching to HDMI sound. It was HDMI sound didn't exist.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:21 pm sudo gedit
Thought I'd better point out that you should use gksudo for graphical applications in Mint versions below 19, e.g. gksudo xed is usually recommended; xed admin:// for Mint 19 onwards. :) (I haven't used xed by the way, happy with nano for this sort of thing, as long as you watch out for chopped lines! :mrgreen:).
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Sound”