Pulseaudio volume slider doesn't affect volume

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Stormfield

Pulseaudio volume slider doesn't affect volume

Post by Stormfield »

I am running Linux Mint 18 on an Intel NUC. I keep it updated and up to now no real issues.

This morning the volume slider doesn't change or mute the volume. All the desktop sounds, VLC player, YouTube play sound through the speakers but I can't change the volume up or down. Visually, the slider moves and the keyboard buttons work as always. The volume level simply doesn't change. At least I have sound.

What should I be looking at?

Thanks as always.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Pulseaudio volume slider doesn't affect volume

Post by Flemur »

Stormfield wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:04 amThis morning the volume slider doesn't change or mute the volume. All the desktop sounds, VLC player, YouTube play sound through the speakers but I can't change the volume up or down. Visually, the slider moves and the keyboard buttons work as always. The volume level simply doesn't change. At least I have sound.
What is "the volume slider" ? Something built into the desktop, pavucontrol, alsamixer...?

Do pavucontrol and/or alsamixer adjust the volume properly?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Stormfield

Re: Pulseaudio volume slider doesn't affect volume

Post by Stormfield »

I installed pavucontrol. The volume control works correctly now. Great!
Thanks for the speedy reply and correct tip.

Return to “Sound”