Sound in Firefox stops, then busybox appears after reboot.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
carum carvi

Sound in Firefox stops, then busybox appears after reboot.

Post by carum carvi »

Happened to me twice now. When watching videos in Firefox suddenly the sound stops. Videos keep on playing, but without any sound. I wanted to restart the system and I got into a busybox that advised me to do a manual fsck check.

I have got this error message (priority level 3) in my logfiles related to pulse audio:

pulseaudio: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
03:05:56 pulseaudio: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.

Something odd related to pulse audio in my system monitor. All applications have a "normal" priority. But my pulse adio has got an "extremely high" priority.

What's going on? After a manual fsck check in busybox everything works fine again, but I am a little startled that something as simple as a defective sound application can stop my system from rebooting.

I have LM19 Cinnamon, New install, no extra software. All the current updates and new kernels loaded. Never had this problem before with LM18.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Sound in Firefox stops, then busybox appears after reboot.

Post by Valsodar »

Why do you stay with pulseaudio? As much as I like Linux, that PA driver is pure crap. Go to Synaptic, type ALSA and install alsa-base (along with the packages that Synaptic will autoselect) plus libasound2-plugins-extra, choose the ALSA device as your default device and try again. I'm almost sure your problems will disappear.

OR

If you like PA so much and you wanna stick with it, this topic contains instructions how to restart pulseaudio without rebooting:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/15223/h ... out-logout
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Hi carum carvi.

This is possibly a bluetooth issue, although I'm not positive of that. If you don't use bluetooth, I suggest you disable it from autostarting (on my Xfce, that would be in menu > Settings > Session and Startup > Application Autostart tab where I have 2 entries related to bluetooth.)

In case pulseaudio is a part of the problem, try deleting the files in ~/.config/pulse/ then in the terminal type pulseaudio -k. Wait a moment then try a video in FF.

Also, don't get rid of pulseaudio or you won't have ANY sound in Firefox with a workaround.

I'll keep looking for other possibilities, but see if any of that gets rid of the problem.

EDIT TO ADD: The priority level for pulseaudio is normal necessary for audio to function properly (so you don't have skips and such.)

While I'm not saying this is the case, every problem shows itself when you are "doing something", in your case playing a video in Firefox. Maybe the root of the problem lies elsewhere and is actually what is killing the sound/causing the fsck need. I don't know enough about file corruption and such to be of any help in this regard.

One suggestion to help narrow down the potential culprits is to try another browser for a while.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Valsodar and MrEen thanks for your tips. I didnt know so much could be altered in the sound settings by adding different sofware. Very insightful to read about that. But since I am a newbie I dont dare to mess with new software too much. I will re examine and try out your tips though if firefox sound starts to crash more often.

Since it were freak accidents (only happened twice) that firefox sound crashed my system, I havent changed anything yet. I suspect it is LM19 itself that is not completely stable yet, because I have never had any crashes in LM18.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Yes, pulseaudio is pure crap and should be removed ...

but!

Firefox (> v54 or so?) requires it for audio unless you do some fiddling:
How to run FIREFOX without pulseaudio, by using "apulse"
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=257818&hilit=pulseaudio+firefox
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Sound”