Why Can't I Burn .mp3 or .wav Files to a CD-RW? <SOLVED>

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Why Can't I Burn .mp3 or .wav Files to a CD-RW? <SOLVED>

Post by rbeltz48 »

I have mostly been burning ISO Linux images to CDs and DVDs for many years. I have always had trouble burning audio files to a CD-RW. I have tried all 3 burners (Brasero, K3B and Xfburn) trying to burn both as audio files and as data files. I keep getting errors that the disc is not suitable or the burn starts and then freezes. I even tried a different laptop and the same result. But, I can burn to a DVD-RW without a hitch. However, the DVD will not play in my boombox - not readable. I am using Lenovo Thinkpads (T61, T400, T410, T420), running Mint 17.3 MATE, as well as other Ubuntu derivatives and using Verbatim discs. Is there a solution to this? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
carum carvi

Re: Why Can't I Burn .mp3 or .wav Files to a CD-RW?

Post by carum carvi »

It must be a setting that you have overlooked. A setting which thinks you are using a cd-r when it in fact is a cd-rw.

Since you have already tried 3 different burn programs chances are slim that the burning software is at fault. Then only 2 options are left open: either Linuxmint 17 does something wrong. Or your cd-rw discs are messed up in some way.

You said you have used a different computer as well, but had that different computer the same Linuxmint17 OS installed?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi rbeltz48,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

I know I have been able to create music or audio CD-RW's using "K3b" in Linux Mint 17.x KDE. Perhaps you just need to install some more packages, try going into the "Synaptic Package Manager SPM", search for "K3b" and install all the recommended and suggested packages, reboot, and retry creating the CD-RW. Install ubuntu-restricted-extras and "udftools" too (with its recommended and suggested packages).

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

To phd21: Based on your advice I installed the following additional packages:

link3b6-extracodecs
ubuntu-restricted-extras
ubuntu-restricted-addons
udftools

I was finally successful with Brasero, K3b and Xfburn in both data and audio formats. I also re-installed K3b and Brasero. I will put this info. into my notes so I will have it in the future in case I run into any more problems like this with other Ubuntu derivatives such as Ubuntu MATE, Xfce, Linux Mint 18/19 or LMDE3. Thanks. I really appreciate your help to solve this very frustrating problem!
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi rbeltz48,

You are welcome...

I have a lot of notes, including Linux notes, which I use the wonderful "CherryTree" notes application for storing and viewing them. I also use extremely useful "autokey-gtk" for storing some notes and automatically entering in text into various apps.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
carum carvi

Re: Why Can't I Burn .mp3 or .wav Files to a CD-RW? <SOLVED>

Post by carum carvi »

So it was the burning software applications fault anyway. I could have never guessed that. Thanks Phd21! Has an older Linux OS like LM17 got a problem with updates? Because the problem was present in 3 different burning software programs. Does LM17 have inferior update support for software that one has to manually start adding additional packages?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Why Can't I Burn .mp3 or .wav Files to a CD-RW? <SOLVED>

Post by phd21 »

Hi "carum carvi" (Caraway?),

You are welcome...

What I suggested applies to all editions and versions of Linux Mint and in this case, it is not a problem with Mint updates. Linux Mint does not install all the possible multimedia packages for various multimedia applications and tasks, and not all people want them even though they do not take up much space. I guess because of some copyright BS or whatever, but users can install them; fortunately, they are easily available to install from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager SPM. Which is why during the installation of Linux Mint 18 or newer, users have to check to install the 3rd party software (mint-meta-codecs), and I recommend always installing the packages I mentioned as well.

If any users wanted to do video and or audio editing or conversions, there are other additional packages I would also recommend installing, just ask.

Although not necessary for creating CD/DVD/Blu-Ray discs, I also recommend installing or making sure "ffmpeg" is installed, and or upgrading "ffmpeg" to version 3.x which Linux Mint 17.x and 18.x users can do using various methods (PPA is the easiest method), Linux Mint 19 already has ffmpeg v3.x available in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager SPM.

How to Install FFMPEG 3.x in Ubuntu 16.04 via PPA
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... 16-04-ppa/
To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy or Ctrl+Insert, click in the console terminal window, and right click paste or Shift+Insert (ctrl+Shift+v), repeat for each command.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jonathonf/ffmpeg-3

Code: Select all

sudo apt update && sudo apt install ffmpeg libav-tools x264 x265
Hope this helps ...

Return to “Sound”