Pulse Audio Max Volume Setting

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boyd

Pulse Audio Max Volume Setting

Post by Boyd »

I'm currently on LM18.3 XFCE.

I was watching a review for LM19 Cinnamon recently, and noticed a new pulse audio feature where the range of the normal volume control settings can be set to allow a max volume above 100% (previously only available through the "Sound settings > Output devices" GUI - at least on my version). This is a feature I'd previously requested on the forums :)

Is this new feature available on LM19 XFCE ??

Is it possible to add this option to LM18.3 XFCE somehow (pulseaudio upgrade?) , or do I HAVE to upgrade to LM19 to get this feature?

My order of preference for adding this feature would be:

1. Adding it to LM18.3
2. Adding it via upgrade to LM19 XFCE
3. Adding it via upgrade to LM19 Cinnamon

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Pulse Audio Max Volume Setting

Post by catweazel »

Boyd wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:39 am Is this new feature available on LM19 XFCE ??
sudo apt install pavucontrol

Set your volume to 153%. you may also need to run alsamixer from a command line to boost the audio.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Boyd

Re: Pulse Audio Max Volume Setting

Post by Boyd »

catweazel wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:45 am
sudo apt install pavucontrol

Set your volume to 153%. you may also need to run alsamixer from a command line to boost the audio.
Terminal tells me I already have the latest version of pavucontrol.

I can currently set volume up to 153% via the "Sound Settings > Output Devices" window. Which is a PITA.

The new feature was to allow customizing the "normal" 0 - 100% range of the volume slider / hotkey volume settings by specifying the "Max" value for this to a value of your choice (other than the default 100% limit, up to 153%).

Return to “Sound”