Cloning a video format (to another video file)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JLC17
Level 3
Level 3

Cloning a video format (to another video file)

Post by JLC17 »

I have 2 video files. VideoA.MKV, and VideoB.MKV

VideoA.MKV plays perfectly on my smart TV.

VideoB.MKV comes up with "unsupported filetype". However, it plays fine on my PC. So clearly there's a codec issue.

Inspecting both files the only difference I can see is the working one is

Code: Select all

Format settings                          : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
while the unsupported is

Code: Select all

Format settings                          : CABAC / 8 Ref Frames
Is it possible for me to use ffmpeg to transcode a new version of VideoB.MKV by pointing it at VideoA.MKV and say "use the video parameters in that file (please)" ????

I'm sure tools like Handbrake could transcode the file too. However, to be honest I have no idea where to find the different parameters. I did have a look, but could see any sign of "Ref frames". Also, for future cases, it may be something else that's different. Now I have a working VideoA.MKV, I may as well see if I can use it as a template ?

Thanks all.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Cloning a video format (to another video file)

Post by Joe2Shoe »

Are both video files the same size? I would convert both with winff to .mp4 files.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
gm10

Post by gm10 »

JLC17 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:38 am Is it possible for me to use ffmpeg to transcode a new version of VideoB.MKV by pointing it at VideoA.MKV and say "use the video parameters in that file (please)" ????
Not like that, no, but you can set the number of reference frames like this --ref 4 if that is indeed the issue.
rui no onna

Post by rui no onna »

Easy way, install Handbrake and select a device preset (e.g. Roku, FireTV, Playstation, Chromecast, Android, Apple). The settings used for those should be compatible with most Smart TVs and Blu-ray players.

If you want to learn to do it from command line, here are the list of options:
https://sites.google.com/site/linuxenco ... eg-mapping

For best compatibility, you'd probably want to stick to High or Main Profile @ Level 4.0 and at most 5 ref frames.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI JLC17,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

I have the same problem sometimes where some videos of the same file type play fine and others do not.

Make sure you have "ffmpeg" installed. I recommend using "ffmpeg" version 3.x.

+1 for using "WinFF-gtk" a desktop GUI front-end to "ffmpeg". Test a file that is not working by converting to the same format or another format to see if it works, then you can do the same for other videos that are not working. Try to keep the same video resolution and frame rate.

There are other video (multimedia) converters available to install and use in addition to the excellent WinFF. Most video editors can also convert one video format to another.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
JLC17
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JLC17 »

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

For now the problem has "gone away", as I remembered my Blu-Ray player will play USB media, and it was able to play the file the TV wouldn't.

Also the TV supports Miracast (or whatever it's called nowdays) so I could always cast a tablet running VLC to the screen.

Return to “Sound”