Alienware and sound (Solved)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eddieg780

Alienware and sound (Solved)

Post by eddieg780 »

I have an Alienware laptop with win10 and cinnamon 18.3. On this machine when I plug in a headset on win 10 the headphones work but on mint it doesn't. I suppose the switching is software activated. Is there a way to either install some software to make this work in mint or does this feature only work on windows? I sure hope there is a way, I hate windows. Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Alienware and sound

Post by deepakdeshp »

Download Mint 19 iso image and try the live image and test if the sound works. If it does, preferably install 19 afresh, otherwise upgrade your mint to 19.
If yo want to keep the present version, upgrade the kernel to 4.15 using the update manager, reboot and test.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

eddieg780 wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:04 am I have an Alienware laptop with win10 and cinnamon 18.3. On this machine when I plug in a headset on win 10 the headphones work but on mint it doesn't. I suppose the switching is software activated. Is there a way to either install some software to make this work in mint or does this feature only work on windows? I sure hope there is a way, I hate windows. Thank you.
You can try alsamixer from a terminal. If that doesn't help, install and run pavucontrol to ensure the correct sound device is selected.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
eddieg780

Post by eddieg780 »

Will this work from the live version of 19 because home networking doesn't work in cinnamon 19?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Hi eddieg780.

To expand on what catweazel said, in the terminal type alsamixer

You might have to hit F6 to select your sound card, then see if the Headphones column has MM underneath (or just no volume.) If so, use the right arrow key to select Headphones, then the m key to unmute, and/or the up arrow to increase volume.

Hope that helps.
eddieg780

Post by eddieg780 »

Thank you. Going to alsamixer and choosing my sound card and headphones were muted and now it works.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Alienware and sound (Solved)

Post by MrEen »

That's great. Good work, eddieg780! :D

Return to “Sound”