Sound disappears after launching Garry's Mod [solved]

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ErasmusGray
Level 1
Level 1

Sound disappears after launching Garry's Mod [solved]

Post by ErasmusGray » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:21 pm

Hello,

System info in attachment (I'm still pretty green in Linux, so don't be too hard on me if the solution is very easy).
One problem that I ran into today, is that my sound completely disappears after I launch Garry's Mod through Steam. I tried launching it with different headphones and with just laptop speakers, nothing makes a difference. Also whilst already in-game I Alt-Tab'ed out and checked the sound settings etc. and everything was fine. After I press "quit" to exit the game it crashes and after force-closing it the sound comes back (If that is somehow connected to the sound issue). Ran a couple of "Verify integrity of game cache" which didn't find anything wrong with the installation. I also tried running L4D2 and there was no problems with the sound at all, worked like a charm.

Thanks.
Attachments
System info.jpeg
Last edited by ErasmusGray on Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrEen
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Sound disappears after launching Garry's Mod.

Post by MrEen » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:35 pm

Hi ErasmusGray, and welcome to the forum.

I don't use steam so I doubt I can be of much help, but what you posted makes me want to suggest reinstalling either steam or more likely Garry's Mod.

I assume L4D2 is played in steam as well? If so, it's almost certainly something wrong with Garry's Mod.

I've seen posts about Garry's Mod here on this forum before and never saw this issue mentioned, so hopefully you just need to reinstall it to get it to work correctly.

ErasmusGray
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Sound disappears after launching Garry's Mod.

Post by ErasmusGray » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:46 pm

Hello,
Thanks for the warm welcome :>.
Yes, I played L4D2 through Steam and I also tried re-installing GMod, might need to delete all the files that stay after uninstalling the game and then try to install it. I highly doubt that Steam itself is at fault here, but I will try re-installing that as well.

ErasmusGray
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Sound disappears after launching Garry's Mod [solved]

Post by ErasmusGray » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:13 pm

Update:
Uninstalled steam and all of the leftover files, then installed again and everything works like a charm. Thank you for the help!

MrEen
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Sound disappears after launching Garry's Mod [solved]

Post by MrEen » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:05 pm

Yeah. Nice work, ErasmusGray! :D

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”