Mic paired with Zoom H1 sounds amazing, through notebook sounds like crap

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
second.exodous
Level 2
Level 2

Mic paired with Zoom H1 sounds amazing, through notebook sounds like crap

Post by second.exodous »

I dual boot Ubuntu Studio and Mint and both have the same issue: mic audio sucks. I don't think it is my microphone, a Sony ECMCS3 because I use it with a Zoom H1 and mix it with my gopro footage for youtube and it sounds amazing. However, when I use it on my notebook, a system76 Lemur, it is not good. Not horrible, my built in mic is worse, but I get lots of static and even when I put on the Noise Suppression filter on OBS it still sounds like I'm underwater.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the audio jack on my notebook just isn't the best and was going to buy a USB dongle that has mic and headset 3.5mm jack input on it but I don't want to waste the money if there is a better solution.

When I search on google for solutions they are all windows solutions obviously but I hope with I can find a solution here.

Thanx,
Stan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Mic paired with Zoom H1 sounds amazing, through notebook sounds like crap

Post by MrEen »

Hi Stan.

The first thing I'd suggest is running alsamixer in the terminal and try playing with the mic and mic boost settings to see if that helps. You might have to hit F6 after opening alsamixer to choose the correct card first.

Return to “Sound”