[SOLVED] No sound in new Tara

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: No sound in new Tara

Post by MrEen »

Hi Antbat.

That last pacmd looks good other than you weren't playing any sound at the time. I'll assume sound still isn't working.

As a test, what output do you get when you run aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav in the terminal. Was there any sound?

Does find $HOME ! -user $USER return anything?

Do you multiboot with Windows? If so, boot into Windows and test sound, then shut the computer down. Power up the computer and boot back into Mint and test again.

Hope that makes a difference.
Antbat

Post by Antbat »

I wonder if it possible to take out the Pulse Audio and might I get sound from the Alsa system alone?

Would it help to write a bug report?

Never mind. I didn't see your post at first. The second suggestion is interesting because sometimes I have to hard shutdown before switching to Windows to get the hard drives working correctly.

I'll try it now.

But here is the output from find $HOME ...

Code: Select all

twei@A-MS-7883:~$ find $HOME ! -user $USER
/home/twei/.cache/dconf
find: ‘/home/twei/.cache/dconf’: Permission denied
/home/twei/.cache/doc
find: ‘/home/twei/.cache/doc’: Permission denied
/home/twei/.local/share/flatpak/db
/home/twei/.dbus
find: ‘/home/twei/.dbus’: Permission denied
twei@A-MS-7883:~$ sudo find $HOME ! -user $USER
[sudo] password for twei: 
/home/twei/.cache/dconf
/home/twei/.cache/dconf/user
/home/twei/.cache/doc
/home/twei/.local/share/flatpak/db
/home/twei/.dbus
/home/twei/.dbus/session-bus
/home/twei/.dbus/session-bus/0be4b885ddb347e5bc70559303dca99f-0
twei@A-MS-7883:~$ 
Antbat

Post by Antbat »

Reboot after hard power down makes no difference. The sound works great in Windows.
I notice that Volume Control always shows "Headphones (plugged in) as the port of the output device no matter which of the six physical ports I plug my headphones into. Windows always asks what I've plugged in, if I change or plug in a new sound device.

Did you see the edits in my last post?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

To fix the permissions in your home directory, run this in the terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R $USER:$USER /home/$USER
I could be wrong, but I don't think that's going to fix your sound issue.

I think you need to install alsa-tools-gui so you can then run hdajackretask

When it opens, there's a box at the top you click to select your ALC1150 codec.

Make sure the headphones are connected to the front headphone jack, and in the list on the left click on Override for "Black Headphone, Front Side" then click the Apply now button on the right and test sound.

That might not work, in which case you'll have to play with the options under the Override checkbox until you find something that does, clicking Apply now after each change and testing. Once you find something that works, click "Install boot override" and you should be fixed for good.

Good luck.
Antbat

Post by Antbat »

Great result! That works! I can get the same great sound I get from the rear connector in Windows. There is an audio switch on the motherboard for directing the premium headphone sound to front or rear. I seems to work in reverse, giving the better sound when the switch points to the 6.3mm jack in the back but the front jack gets sound either way the switch is set, it is just better pointing the switch to the wrong jack.

I'm curious why there is no "Pin Configuration" section for rear 6.3mm headphone jack, in Jack Retasking. Actually most of the front side sections don't correspond to anything on my motherboard. The rear side jacks are all present there except for the 6.3mm jack. Do you think it is impossible to get the rear 6.3mm jack working?

Anyway, thanks for all the help. Now I can run linuxmint with sound. Great!
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

So glad you're fixed, Antbat!

I can't answer the question about the rear 6.3mm as I have only opened, but never used hdajackretask, as everything on my system worked right from the start. I installed it just so I could offer at least some help with it for people in the same situation you were in.

Glad I could help. :D

Return to “Sound”