[Solved] Music Files On External Hard Drive

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Reddak98

[Solved] Music Files On External Hard Drive

Post by Reddak98 »

During my Windows days I put my music collection on an external hard drive. Now I have made the move to Linux. I tried to access those music files with Linux but I got nothing. How can I access my music collection with Linux? Is there a program I need to download? Will Linux read windows files? I am running Linux Mint 19 Mate on a Lenovo Thinkpad SL 510.

Thanks to all for your input.

Rick
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Music Files On External Hard Drive

Post by Flemur »

Edit: what kind of "external hard drive"?
With the disk connected, pleas post output of

Code: Select all

sudo blkid
df
inside 'code' brackets </> in menu above text area.
Reddak98 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:14 pm I tried to access those music files with Linux but I got nothing.
What did you try?
How can I access my music collection with Linux?
- Make sure windows is shut down completely or it leaves ntfs partitions in an unreadable state: turn off "fast boot" in windows, and shut it down. Then boot linux.
- Then, if the disk with the partition is physically hooked up, you should see it (the partition) under "Devices" or "Places" in your file-browser.
- Double click on it - it should mount to /media/username/(some-funky-number or the disk label)
- To make it mount automagically and ensure you have read/write access, add a line to /etc/fstab to
Is there a program I need to download?
No.
Will Linux read windows files?
Yes.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Reddak98

Re: [Solved] Music Files On External Hard Drive

Post by Reddak98 »

Thank you for your response. I have it working now.

Rick

Return to “Sound”