Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia - Sound went off

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Manuel Barros

Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia - Sound went off

Post by Manuel Barros »

Hello,
My installation of Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64 bit was working perfectly and the next time I opened it, there was no sound.
I am not an expert on what concerns codes.
It will be easy for me to re-install again this LMint but I will loose all the previous configurations I already made.
Do you think there will be any input code that perhaps may solve this problem?
Thanks in advance for help.
Rgds.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia - Sound went off

Post by MrEen »

Hello Manuel Barros.

You might just have something muted so you can't hear the sound. Your sound settings might have a mute checkbox, and if so, make sure it's unchecked. Also, open a terminal and type alsamixer and you should see some like this:

Notice the MM under the Master column? Make sure you do not have MM under any of those first 5 columns by using your arrow keys to select the column and pressing m to unmute. The selected column name will be red when it is selected, so in the screenshot above, pressing m will unmute Master, then hitting the right arrow key 3 times would select the PCM column. You can also use the up arrow to increase the vilume of the selected column.

Note: When opening alsamixer, you might have to press F6 to select the appropriate sound card.

Hope that helps.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Also check pavucontrol for muted settings - I had a situation where I'd mute the audio w/amixer (alsa) but would have to unmute it with pavucontrol.

If you don't have it:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install pavucontrol
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Manuel Barros

Post by Manuel Barros »

Many thanks for all your help.
Everything is now in order.
Best regards.

Return to “Sound”