I used to be able to use my USB headset in Mint. Sometimes it was randomly twitchy (had to manually set the device, etc) but usually I could get them to work. Now I can't. All I can think is that some recent update has broken something. The problem is that for some reason something keeps switching the output hardware to my built-in sound card even when I manually select the headphones (which are detected and do show up in the output hardware list).
So, I plug in my headset. Linux seems to recognize them (see syslog entries below). And they show up in the "hardware" list in the Sound Preferences dialog along with my built in sound card (i.e., speakers). If I go into Sound Preferences and manually select the headphones in the Hardware tab, and then press the "test speakers" button, IT WORKS! I can hear the test voice in the headphones. So there does not seem to be a hardware connection problem, and the volume level settings seem OK. BUT when I close/switch away from the Sound Preferences dialog.... no sound in headphones. I can't hear anything no matter what app I use. If I launch Sound Preferences again, for some reason the output device has been switched back to "Built-In Audio." No matter how many times I try this it does the same thing: the speaker tests work, but no other app can play sound, probably because the hardware changes back without me telling it to.
The headphones work perfectly when I boot into my Win10 partition.
Any suggestions would be very welcome - my living situation requires me to use headphones a lot so as to not disturb others.
Below is a little troubleshooting information. I am happy to provide any other diagnostic info you might want.
Code: Select all
Linux CB143 4.15.0-34-generic #37~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 28 10:44:06 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux Oct 3 01:31:15 CB143 kernel: [36218.827539] usb 3-3: new full-speed USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd Oct 3 01:31:15 CB143 kernel: [36218.993789] usb 3-3: New USB device found, idVendor=046d, idProduct=0a44 Oct 3 01:31:15 CB143 kernel: [36218.993793] usb 3-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0 Oct 3 01:31:15 CB143 kernel: [36218.993795] usb 3-3: Product: Logitech USB Headset Oct 3 01:31:15 CB143 kernel: [36218.993798] usb 3-3: Manufacturer: Logitech Oct 3 01:31:15 CB143 kernel: [36218.996279] input: Logitech Logitech USB Headset as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb3/3-3/3-3:1.3/0003:046D:0A44.0004/input/input15 Oct 3 01:31:15 CB143 kernel: [36219.055764] hid-generic 0003:046D:0A44.0004: input,hidraw3: USB HID v1.00 Device [Logitech Logitech USB Headset] on usb-0000:00:14.0-3/input3 Oct 3 01:31:15 CB143 mtp-probe: checking bus 3, device 2: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb3/3-3" Oct 3 01:31:15 CB143 mtp-probe: bus: 3, device: 2 was not an MTP device Oct 3 01:31:15 CB143 kernel: [36219.110967] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio