[SOLVED] Ripping A CD To mp3

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Reddak98

[SOLVED] Ripping A CD To mp3

Post by Reddak98 »

Well it seems my learning process has hit a snag. I am trying to rip a cd to my computer with Banshee and it works but the files are ogg files. Well I downloaded winFF because it's description said it would convert to mp3 but all I find in the options is mp4 so I opted for wav files from winFF. What am I missing? I want mp3 files to use on an mp3 player. I am on Linux Mint 19 Tara. All input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rick
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Ripping A CD To mp3

Post by all41 »

Try Asunder or sound-juicer. Both in the repositories
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Reddak98 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:17 amI opted for wav files from winFF. What am I missing? I want mp3 files to use on an mp3 player.
The winff menu is kinda goofy (welcome to linux!)

Winff -> Edit -> Presets -> Audio -> MP3 (rt-side) ... then you can fill in the mp3 parameters.

Then on the main window select "audio" and hope that it treats "audio" as mp3.

It uses ffmpeg to do the conversion; I prefer to use "lame" on a command line, though at this point in time there's probably no real difference.

Notes
- you might need to install libavcodec-extra
- you can copy the files directly from the CD as .wav files (w/file-brower or terminal) but you'll lose the song names you might be able to get with a real cd-ripper which looks up stuff on the internet.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

all41 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:24 am Try Asunder or sound-juicer. Both in the repositories
Another "vote" for asunder. May need to install lame to generate the .mp3 files, but works a real treat.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI Reddak98,

+1 for Asunder

There are also these applications and many posts on this topic in this forum:

I usually use "soundKonverter" or the Amarok music application for ripping CD's, but Asunder, K3b and Freac work well too.

* Recommend installing from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" and right-clicking the app to see if there are any additional recommended and suggested packages to install.

**** "K3b" CD/DVD/Blu-Ray disc software

**** SoundKonverter
soundkonverter Wiki
https://github.com/dfaust/soundkonverter/wiki

*** fre:ac is a free audio converter and CD ripper with support for various popular formats and encoders
- not in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" requires download and Java runtime.
https://www.freac.org/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
bassplayer

Post by bassplayer »

You might want to make sure you have "lame" for MP3 encoding installed.

I prefer to use ripperX to rip cd's to MP3, wav, etc....
Reddak98

Re: [SOLVED] Ripping A CD To mp3

Post by Reddak98 »

Got Assunder figured out. Did not have lame installed. All is well. Thanks, this group rocks!
MintBean

Re: [SOLVED] Ripping A CD To mp3

Post by MintBean »

Ensure under preferences->advanced you uncheck 'faster ripping(no error correction)' as for some reason it default to active.

Return to “Sound”