Music to DVD's pr0gram?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tymbusku

Music to DVD's pr0gram?

Post by tymbusku »

Hi ALL !
I'd like to back up my music from my HDD onto DVD's. I have WAVs,MP3s & WMAs to backup. I'm buying a DVD burner soon.Can all this be done? If so, what do I need to do?

Thanks !
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Music to DVD's pr0gram?

Post by JerryF »

Yes, it can be done.

If you want to backup the files, you should be able to use your file manager.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

tymbusku wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:17 am Can all this be done?
Yes. :)
tymbusku wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:17 am If so, what do I need to do?
There are various tools available which you can use to compile CDs, DVDs and other media including Brasero (included with Cinnamon and probably other desktops except KDE) and K3b, which comes with KDE but can be installed in other DEs. I use both and they work well.

Another good tool you may find useful is "Iso Master". This lets you easily edit ISO images and is available via Synaptic Package Manager/Software Manager or you can install it using the Terminal with sudo apt-get install isomaster.

Hope this helps!
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI tymbusku

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

I think that is a very smart decision to make a backup copy of your multimedia (and any other files) files to DVD and or Blu-Ray discs which most DVD and Blu-Ray players (even in newer cars) can also play these type of "data" discs. You want to use the "data" option in the DVD/CD/Blu-Ray software and then you can just copy (add) the files to the discs. The two best DVD/CD/Blu-Ray applications are "xfburn" and "K3b". I think "K3b" is the best with the most features, but "xfburn" is easier to use. "K3b" in Linux Mint 19.x requires some simple extra procedures to work properly, but once that is done it should work well from then on.

See this recent post for "K3b" installation and usage instructions
cd burner for mint 19 - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=279918&hilit=disks

What type of DVD/CD burner writer are you getting? DVD/CD and Blu-Ray burners are reasonably priced and both Internal and USB external work well. I would recommend getting a DVD or Blu-Ray burner writer with "m-disc" capability just in case you may want to use the "m-disc" discs which last much longer (1,000 years) than regular 'CD/DVD/Blu-Ray discs (decades) and can withstand high heat and sunlight (like in cars). Blu-Ray burners can burn DVD's, CD's, and of course BluRay discs which have much higher storage capacities (25gb, 50gb, 100+gb) over DVD discs (4.5gb regular/8.5gb dual-layer) and you can also play Blu-Ray discs on your computer too.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Short answer is YES.
What phd21 has said is valid.
Answer these questions and then you'll have a better idea of what you need to do

Do you want these files to be playable on any other machine regardless of brand or model? - If so some conversion will be required and possibly LOTS of disks.
Do you have specific machines you want them to be playable on? - Say, your car stereo - then some conversion MAY be needed.
Do you want them accessible only on a computer? - Then a straight file copy to your desired storage medium is all that is required.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

tymbusku wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:17 am Hi ALL !
I'd like to back up my music from my HDD onto DVD's. I have WAVs,MP3s & WMAs to backup. I'm buying a DVD burner soon.Can all this be done? If so, what do I need to do?

Thanks !
Hi tymbusku,
I'd like to back up my music from my HDD onto DVD's.
Backup means saving files for later recovery.
If that is your goal then I suggest you use external flash or usb hd,

If you want playable media that is a separate process.
Say more about your backup strategy
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Sound”