[SOLVED] Sound only comes through one speaker

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
plandy

[SOLVED] Sound only comes through one speaker

Post by plandy »

Hello,

Recently upgraded from 17 to 18.3 Mint. Now I discovered that the sound only comes through one ear bud while the other is quiet. I did not have this problem with Mint 17. Can anyone advise :?:
Thanks,
Peter
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Sound only comes through one speaker

Post by MrEen »

Hi Peter.

In the terminal, type alsamixer and find the Headphones or Headphones+LO column(s) and you might see something like 0<>100 or 100<>0 at the bottom of the column. Use the right arrow until that selection name is red then use the q key or the e key to raise the low side until they are equal.

You may have to press F6 first to select the appropriate card.

Hope that helps.
plandy

Post by plandy »

Hi and thanks for the helpful response. I learned something new today with the interesting alsamixer utility. Looked through everything as it pointed to 100<>100 in the relevant fields. I take this means its perfectly balanced. Playing around with the numbers only seems to raise or lower volume. Some of the settings were down to 0<>0 so I raised all of them to 100<>100. There's only one selection for sound card and it's set to that. Playing around with numbers raised the volume making the sound more audible. However, it's only coming through one speaker/ear bud. I was going to attach two screen captures but it's not apparent to how this is done from this interface.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

If they all showed even levels, try wiggling/twisting the connection a little.

Most images need to stored elsewhere then use the Image tags to embed them in the post.
plandy

Post by plandy »

Roger on posting pictures. Apparently a URL has to point to the storage location. Disconnected and connected audio line from several points since it has extension but so far no go. Not the end of the world, because I still have audio and it's a bit louder thanks to the audio utility. I guess, this one has no simple fix. I'm sure another sound card would fix it but not worth the hassle.
plandy

Post by plandy »

Found the fix :-) lol
As soon as I mentioned another sound card I remembered this computer has an auxiliary sound output in the back. Currently it was plugged to the front output. So I switched the plugin from the front port to the back and voila the stereo sound magically activated! :D
Thanks for your support.

Return to “Sound”