Apparently, falling behind again...

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Apparently, falling behind again...

Post by Arch_Enemy »

There have been a few new implementations of some new codecs, and they are starting to surface.

You CAN install them manually, but for some people this will be more trouble than it's worth. One example is H.265 has been upgraded, but it is not in any repositories.

Not only that, but the video editors offered are also lagging behind. AVIDemux and LiVES both had to be installed by hand to get them to use newer files. I know Mint shies from the bleeding edge, but audio video and multimedia are driving the market.

BTW, I am on Mint 19.0, and I have noticed from installing it multimedia is not up to snuff.

/rant.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Apparently, falling behind again...

Post by Hoser Rob »

This is a long standing issue ... it took until Mint 18/Ubuntu 16.04 to get repo suppsrt for HEVC ... and I don't expect this to change any time soon.

It's not just Linux, it took forever for decent open source x264 support.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Sound”