[Solved] Audio dropouts playing dvds

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rander
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Audio dropouts playing dvds

Post by Rander »

Got a weird problem here...
On Mint 19 Cinnamon, I get audio dropouts playing dvds. VLC is configured to direct output (ALSA module and output "HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0 Direct hardware device without any conversions").

Occasionally the sound drops out for a second or two. Oddly, this happens only in conjunction with scene changes, almost like it cannot cope with the bandwidth from a full screen update.

But it can. As I said, this happens ONLY when playing back dvds, both from discs and from (local) .iso files . Everything else, including Blu-Ray .isos plays just fine (except they screw up the timing of the captions if you try to jump back or forward, but that's another problem).

And no, there's no problems with they discs or iso files - they play perfectly with no hiccups on a Windows with VLC...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Audio dropouts playing dvds

Post by Hoser Rob »

I rarely use vlc but I'd try increasing the file cache/buffer size. It's in preferences > input/codecs, which to me is a very strange place to put such an important performance setting.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Rander
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Audio dropouts playing dvds

Post by Rander »

I really doubted that would make any difference, but I changed it last night from the standard 300 to 10000. To my surprise, it actually fixed the problem. Thank you! :D
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [Solved] Audio dropouts playing dvds

Post by Hoser Rob »

No problem, having a healthy file cache is one of the best performance tweaks for media players around. That's why it flummoxes me why they'd put it in Input/Codecs. But then IMO VLC is just about the most over rated program I know of. The interface is silly and the performance is lacking. SMplayer's been my default for years.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Sound”