<SOLVED> libasound_module_pcm_a52.so library for Linux Mint 19?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
benoitsmith
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED> libasound_module_pcm_a52.so library for Linux Mint 19?

Post by benoitsmith »

Greetings,

To enable true digital 5.1 surround audio on my system, it appears that I have to find/build and install some "libasound_module_pcm_a52.so" library, which cannot be found in my distribution (Linux Mint 19). Moreover, the instructions I have found so far (build the library from the package libasound2-plugins) don't work for me, since libasound2-plugins does no longer seems to be a valid package in the latest Linux Mint.

Please, how can I obtain it to complete my audio setup? Any clue would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Benoît Smith
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: libasound_module_pcm_a52.so library for Linux Mint 19?

Post by trytip »

this should work, i have mint 19

Code: Select all

apt install libasound2-plugins-extra
Last edited by trytip on Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI benoitsmith,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

FYI: Install "pulse audio volume control" from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)". There are some really nice graphical (GUI) programs for the sound that start with "Qas", like the fantastic "Qasmixer", in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) that you can install and use. Sound "Mixers" can be a little confusing if you are not familiar with them. If you bring up "Qasmixer" and make it fullscreen, on the right side you will have mixer devices where you can control your system sound. If you do not see the mixer devices, hit "F6". The mixer item "sysdefault" will show all installed sound card devices, and you will have various options to adjust various volume controls using "sliders" which you can turn off and on using the "dot" below the volume slider. There are also various other checkboxes below that you can use, and depending upon your sound card(s) that sometimes includes headphone checkboxes and or sliders as well, like "Headphone Jack Sense".

QasTools: Applications
http://xwmw.org/qastools/applications.html

The applications included are:
- qasconfig - browser for the alsa configuration tree
- qashctl - mixer for alsa's high level control interface
- qasmixer - desktop mixer with features similar to alsamixer

Qasmixer is a desktop mixer application for alsa's "simple mixer interface" and offers features similar to alsamixer. it also features a sytem tray icon with basic mixer functionality.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
benoitsmith
Level 1
Level 1

Post by benoitsmith »

Thank you for all the helpful replies! Since I have installed the right package, surround sound has been back in my sound bar to please my ears and soul :D

Qasmixer and I already met before, while I was tweaking my audio setup for Linux Mint 17.3. A trustworthy tool, indeed.

Return to “Sound”