(SOLVED)Error When Loading Video Files

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrGrimm

(SOLVED)Error When Loading Video Files

Post by MrGrimm »

i have some video files that have no thumbnail and when i click on them to play the error out. it's not all video files only certain ones, and file extention makes no difference.

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/mpv --no-config --no-quiet --terminal --no-msg-color --input-file=/dev/stdin --no-fs --hwdec=no --sub-auto=fuzzy --no-input-default-bindings --input-vo-keyboard=no --no-input-cursor --cursor-autohide=no --no-keepaspect --wid=98566163 --monitorpixelaspect=1 --osd-level=1 --osd-scale=1 --osd-bar-align-y=0.6 --sub-ass --embeddedfonts --sub-ass-line-spacing=0 --sub-scale=1 --sub-font=Arial --sub-color=#ffffffff --sub-shadow-color=#ff000000 --sub-border-color=#ff000000 --sub-border-size=0.75 --sub-shadow-offset=2.5 --sub-font-size=50 --sub-bold=no --sub-italic=no --sub-codepage=ISO-8859-1 --sub-pos=100 --volume=71 --cache=auto --af-add=lavfi=[acompressor] --audio-pitch-correction=yes --af-add=lavfi=[firequalizer=gain='cubic_interpolate(f)':zero_phase=on:wfunc=tukey:delay=0.027:gain_entry='entry(0,0);entry(62.5,0);entry(125,0);entry(250,0);entry(500,0);entry(1000,0);entry(2000,0);entry(4000,0);entry(8000,0);entry(16000,0)'] --volume-max=110 --term-playing-msg=MPV_VERSION=${=mpv-version:}
INFO_VIDEO_WIDTH=${=width}
INFO_VIDEO_HEIGHT=${=height}
INFO_VIDEO_ASPECT=${=video-aspect}
INFO_VIDEO_FPS=${=container-fps:${=fps}}
INFO_VIDEO_FORMAT=${=video-format}
INFO_VIDEO_CODEC=${=video-codec}
INFO_AUDIO_FORMAT=${=audio-codec-name}
INFO_AUDIO_CODEC=${=audio-codec}
INFO_AUDIO_RATE=${=audio-params/samplerate}
INFO_AUDIO_NCH=${=audio-params/channel-count}
INFO_LENGTH=${=duration:${=length}}
INFO_DEMUXER=${=current-demuxer:${=demuxer}}
INFO_SEEKABLE=${=seekable}
INFO_TITLES=${=disc-titles}
INFO_CHAPTERS=${=chapters}
INFO_TRACKS_COUNT=${=track-list/count}
METADATA_TITLE=${metadata/by-key/title:}
METADATA_ARTIST=${metadata/by-key/artist:}
METADATA_ALBUM=${metadata/by-key/album:}
METADATA_GENRE=${metadata/by-key/genre:}
METADATA_DATE=${metadata/by-key/date:}
METADATA_TRACK=${metadata/by-key/track:}
METADATA_COPYRIGHT=${metadata/by-key/copyright:}
INFO_MEDIA_TITLE=${=media-title:}
INFO_STREAM_PATH=${stream-path}
 --audio-client-name=SMPlayer --term-status-msg=STATUS: ${=time-pos} / ${=duration:${=length:0}} P: ${=pause} B: ${=paused-for-cache} I: ${=core-idle} VB: ${=video-bitrate:0} AB: ${=audio-bitrate:0} /home/mc2635599/Desktop/Krampus Origin (2018).avi

Playing: /home/mc2635599/Desktop/Krampus Origin (2018).avi
Failed to recognize file format.
Exiting... (Errors when loading file)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Error When Loading Video Files

Post by Joe2Shoe »

I would open all video/audio files with VLC, if the files are not corrupt.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

Joe2Shoe wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:21 pm I would open all video/audio files with VLC, if the files are not corrupt.
not using vlc, plus it has nothing to do with smplayer.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi MrGrimm,

Sometimes certain video files were created using specific and or non-standard video or audio codecs and unless you have those installed, they may not play properly. Some multi-media players have their own built-in video and audio codecs like SMplayer and others, some do not. Have you installed "ffmpeg", x264, x265, mediainfo and mediainfo-gui (if not install them)?

What information does "mediainfo" show with the problem videos (right-click open with mediainfo)?

Assuming the videos are not corrupted in some way, you can try installing various video and audio codecs like searching the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" for "avi" and "libavi", "divx", and see if that helps.

I would certainly try playing the videos that are not playing well in SMplayer using "VLC", "Videos", "Totem" (another app that shows up as "videos" in your menu), xplayer, to see if they can play them.

Another option is to convert the videos with issues from the format they are in, into to another different format like from ".avi" to "mp4" or "mkv", etc... using one of the many multimedia converter applications like WinFF-GTK, Transmageddon, ff multi converter, curlew, selene, etc...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

ok the installed mediainfo won't launch, nor does it show up in the rightclick menu. tried to install the gui version,but was told dependencies not met "libmediainfo0".

EDIT:

got mediainfo running

General
Count                                    : 331
Count of stream of this kind             : 1
Kind of stream                           : General
Kind of stream                           : General
Stream identifier                        : 0
Inform                                   : 1.32 GiB
Complete name                            : /home/mc2635599/TV Series/Last Night's/<violates forum rules> Overlord 2018.mkv
Folder name                              : /home/mc2635599/TV Series/Last Night's
File name                                : <violates forum rules> Overlord 2018.mkv
File name                                : <violates forum rules> Overlord 2018
File extension                           : mkv
File size                                : 1420324966
File size                                : 1.32 GiB
File size                                : 1 GiB
File size                                : 1.3 GiB
File size                                : 1.32 GiB
File size                                : 1.323 GiB
Stream size                              : 1420324966
Stream size                              : 1.32 GiB (100%)
Stream size                              : 1 GiB
Stream size                              : 1.3 GiB
Stream size                              : 1.32 GiB
Stream size                              : 1.323 GiB
Stream size                              : 1.32 GiB (100%)
Proportion of this stream                : 1.00000
File last modification date              : UTC 2018-11-13 18:49:22
File last modification date (local)      : 2018-11-13 10:49:22
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi MrGrimm

I have never not been able to install "mediainfo" and its desktop GUI interface "mediainfo-gui"? The gui part of the application is what would be in the right-click file manager menus and desktop options.

Perhaps the mediainfo package did not fully install because some other software never completed its installation.

Run these commands from the console terminal.

sudo dpkg --configure -a

sudo apt-get install -f
This command will install both of the mediainfo packages. If it still does not install properly post the results back here.

sudo apt install mediainfo mediainfo-gui
Can you please provide the exact name of one of the videos files that is not working? Special characters like Asterisks ***, quotes, Dollar sign $, etc... in filenames may be problematic and you can rename the file to remove those.

You can still run the mediainfo console terminal command from the folder with the problem video files. From your file manager browse into the folder with the video files that have issues, then right-click open terminal here, then type in the command like below. You must use quotes around filenames with spaces in them. Example of some important information: Format: Webm and under the video heading Format = VP9 (video codec) and under Audio Heading Format = Opus (audio codec).

mediainfo "Devin Dawson - All On Me.webm"
Results should be like that below:
~/Music$ mediainfo "Devin Dawson - All On Me.webm"
General
Complete name : Devin Dawson - All On Me.webm
Format : WebM
Format version : Version 4 / Version 2
File size : 45.6 MiB
Duration : 3 min 59 s
Overall bit rate : 1 595 kb/s
Movie name : Devin Dawson - All On Me (Official Music Video)
Writing application : Lavf57.83.100
Writing library : Lavf57.83.100
ARTIST : Devin Dawson
DATE : 20170706
PURL : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntCMoh-0ogo

Video
ID : 1
Format : VP9
Codec ID : V_VP9

Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
ID : 2
Format : Opus
Codec ID : A_OPUS
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Bit depth : 32 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Hope this helps ...
mediainfo-gui.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI MrGrimm,

1.) Whenever posting an image(s) to this forum using a remote image hosting website, click the "rimg" forum toolbar button before pasting the "Direct link" URL address and the image should appear in the forum when you click submit to your post or reply. I could barely see the image when I opened it in a new tab, so I downloaded the images and used another program to view it.

Example of what a remote image should look like in a forum post/reply before clicking submit.

[rimg]https://i.imgur.com/PF5EjmU.png[/rimg]
2.) If you are using console terminal commands it would be better to just copy and paste the results rather than taking a screenshot so that people responding can easily use or highlight some of those results for you.

3.) As I am sure you noticed, the video file referenced as "good" provided the proper results from "mediainfo" regarding video and audio codecs used to create the video, whereas the video file referenced as "bad" did not provide the proper results from "mediainfo". That could be because the file is corrupted or incomplete, or that mediainfo could not identify the video and audio codecs used to create the video which is unlikely from my experience.

-- You could try converting the "bad" video(s) using a multimedia converter like "WinFF-GTK" to another video format and see if that works, but if the multimedia converter will not even open the file, then it is probably corrupt or incomplete.

Hope this helps ...
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

funny mousing over it and it's huge, same with mousing over it in a new tab. try again cause i linked that way as not to have huge images in the thread. lets not admonish people for being considerate, as for number 2 nitpicking is what it's called. as for number 3 thank you.
Last edited by MrGrimm on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi MrGrimm,

You are welcome...

1.) I was working on another post and had my browser in a custom size and not fullscreen. As soon as I switched to fullscreen I could see the images properly.

2.) The comment is not being "nitpicky". If you post the results of console terminal commands using copy and paste they are in the text versus screenshots which are obviously images. Much easier to work with text rather than having to save an screenshot image, edit or annotate that image, then post it back to the forum to highlight or show something.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

on 2 alright.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

if you downloaded these files as torrents, you probably didn't let them finish and parts are missing. the way i use mediainfo is rightclick on a file and open with mediainfo. in xfce/thunar you can add a custom action for the rightclick menu that ads mediainfo
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

trytip wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:41 pm if you downloaded these files as torrents, you probably didn't let them finish and parts are missing. the way i use mediainfo is rightclick on a file and open with mediainfo. in xfce/thunar you can add a custom action for the rightclick menu that ads mediainfo
i know how to do torrents, and beside i can read the difference between 100% and 99.9% or lower, so no no missing parts. as for mediainfo you can see from my previous post above both the gui and command line versions are in and working fine.
MrGrimm

Re: (SOLVED)Error When Loading Video Files

Post by MrGrimm »

will end up replacing the files, luckily it's not all that many and i have the available data for the month left to do it.

Return to “Sound”