Headphones volume low after restart, fixed by unplug-plug of headphones.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tkivisik

Headphones volume low after restart, fixed by unplug-plug of headphones.

Post by tkivisik »

Expected:
Headphone volume is independent of restarting the machine, stays the same.

Got:
Headphones volume is about 30% of the normal volume after restart. It returns to normal after the headphones are unplugged and plugged in again.

Details:
inxi -Fxz

Code: Select all

System:    Host: Computer-X Kernel: 4.15.0-39-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: LENOVO (portable) product: 20ARA15K00 v: ThinkPad T440s
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-4200U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9178
           clock speeds: max: 2600 MHz 1: 1148 MHz 2: 1052 MHz 3: 1038 MHz 4: 967 MHz
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 8 Series HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 Intel Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-39-generic
Info:      Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Headphones volume low after restart, fixed by unplug-plug of headphones.

Post by MrEen »

Hi tkivisik, and welcome to the forum.

If running cat /etc/pulse/daemon.conf | grep flat in the terminal does NOT return flat-volumes = no then you can add or change that by typing gksudo xed /etc/pulse/daemon.conf then check if the file has a line that starts with flat-volumes. If yes, change it to flat-volumes = no. If no, add the line yourself to the file. On mine, it's right above the line that reads ; rlimit-fsize = -1 close to the bottom.

Save the file after the change, then in the terminal run pulseaudio -k to restart pulseaudio with the change applied.

If that line was already present, try installing PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol.) The Output Devices tab will have a slider for Headphone volume that will hopefully make the setting stick.

Good luck.
tkivisik

Post by tkivisik »

Thanks, MrEen, tried your steps, unfortunately it didn't lead to a fix. Now I have upgraded to Linux Mint 19, and have not yet tested, if the behavior was the same.

Slightly off topic - where is the right place to report this kind of unexpected behavior? I couldn't easily point it to one repository in GitHub where I could post an issue.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Well, we're not yet sure where the issue lies, so no where to report it as yet. I'm betting it's pulseaudio. But it could be Alsa, the kernel, your config, etc.

If it continues on 19, the next time you reboot, before adjusting the volume try pulseaudio -k in the terminal and wait a few seconds. Does that correct it?

On the flipside, when you're bored, do pulseaudio -k when the volume is correct. Does that make it return to 30%?

Good luck.

Another thing. Do you know which card your headphones are plugged into? I would assume the Intel 8 series, but we should be certain. Also, if there's still an issue, paste back the results of aplay -l please.

Return to “Sound”