Video sound disappears after few minutes - Mint 19

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tmcyeti

Video sound disappears after few minutes - Mint 19

Post by tmcyeti »

When I am playing a video file in vlc player, first of all the sound doesn't work by default, I have to go to the sound settings and chose another audio device, and then switch it back to the default one. Then it works for a few minutes, and switches off again, but can be fixed by doing the same operation as already described.

Sound on youtube, spotify, online commercials etc works without problems for longer periods of time. There is also no problem when playing sound files, it seems to be limited to video files.

I have tried to search, but have not found a solution anywhere.

My computer is connected by USB to an amplifier with a built in digital audio converter. The built in sound card is switched off in the BIOS.

Any ideas for a solution?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Video sound disappears after few minutes - Mint 19

Post by MrEen »

Hi tmcyeti, and welcome to the forum.

I suspect a USB autosuspend issue.

Not an area I'm confident in, but this page might help.

If you're using a laptop, I'd think the accepted answer (with the green checkmark beside it) will solve your issue. If you want to try that, I can help you make the change without using vi if you post back the output of running inxi -Fxz and lsusb in the terminal.

Return to “Sound”