No Audio After New Monitor & GFX Card

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
luxorium

Re: No Audio After New Monitor & GFX Card

Post by luxorium »

MrEen wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:58 pm Have you tried upgrading the kernel? If the newer kernel causes problems, we can walk you through getting back to the one you're using.
How would I go about doing that? Sorry, I've only been using Linux Mint for 2 months at max. I used Windows 10 before I switched.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Open Update Manager. I don't use 19 yet, so I'm not certain what you'll see, but the kernel should be there along with any other updates that haven't been applied yet.

It might be advisable to wait for someone else to chime in, as the new version has a tie-in with Timeshift, that my version doesn't have.
luxorium

Post by luxorium »

MrEen wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:24 pm Open Update Manager. I don't use 19 yet, so I'm not certain what you'll see, but the kernel should be there along with any other updates that haven't been applied yet.

It might be advisable to wait for someone else to chime in, as the new version has a tie-in with Timeshift, that my version doesn't have.
I'm going to try booting into a live version on a USB drive. If that doesn't work, I'm going to try Linux Mint MATE or Cinnamon. If THAT doesn't work, I'm going to try the kernel update.
luxorium

Post by luxorium »

luxorium wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:28 pm
MrEen wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:24 pm Open Update Manager. I don't use 19 yet, so I'm not certain what you'll see, but the kernel should be there along with any other updates that haven't been applied yet.

I'm going to try booting into a live version on a USB drive. If that doesn't work, I'm going to try Linux Mint MATE or Cinnamon. If THAT doesn't work, I'm going to try the kernel update.
Update: Booting into a live session on a USB drive didn't seem to work. The audio still didn't work.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Oh crap! I think I might know what's wrong.

What are you plugging the Apple earbuds into?
luxorium

Post by luxorium »

MrEen wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:20 pm Oh crap! I think I might know what's wrong.

What are you plugging the Apple earbuds into?
The Apple earbuds are plugged into an adapter. It splits into two jacks, audio out and audio in. There's a red jack and a green jack. The red has a microphone icon on it while the green has a headset icon on it. The front of my case has two inputs. One with a microphone icon below it, another with a headset icon below it. I plug the red into the one with the microphone below it and the green into the other. This setup worked on my old setup with the old monitor and no graphics card.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

So it's plugged into the computers built-in ports, or the graphics card ports?
luxorium

Post by luxorium »

MrEen wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:30 pm So it's plugged into the computers built-in ports, or the graphics card ports?
The graphics card doesn't seem to have audio ports. It's plugged into the front of my computer's case.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

All right. We've been going about this the wrong way.

You don't want HDMI sound, but you're not showing Built-in sound available.

Check your BIOS to see if sound is disabled there while I think of other things to try.
luxorium

Post by luxorium »

MrEen wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:37 pm All right. We've been going about this the wrong way.

Check your BIOS to see if sound is disabled there while I think of other things to try.
I'm sorry if I came off to want HDMI sound. I thought we both had an understanding that Apple earbuds use an audio jack. I'll try to see if something is in the BIOS.
luxorium

Post by luxorium »

Anddd... I fixed it! :D In the BIOS, I had to disable something called "nVidia HD Audio Controller". I'm so excited and happy!
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Yeah!! It was equally my misunderstanding. Glad you're fixed! :D
luxorium

Post by luxorium »

MrEen wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:08 pm Yeah!! It was equally my misunderstanding. Glad you're fixed! :D
Thank you so much for your effort!
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

You're very welcome!
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

luxorium wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:38 pm
MrEen wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:37 pm All right. We've been going about this the wrong way.

I'm sorry if I came off to want HDMI sound. I thought we both had an understanding that Apple earbuds use an audio jack. I'll try to see if something is in the BIOS.

Ah. Sorry I missed that. No, there aren't any ports in the video card for sound. You either have to get an adapter or use a monitor that has an earphone jack.

I have mine running through the monitor and into a small stereo amp. If you have an earphone jack (you probably don't if it didn't say "plugged in") you should trade up to another monitor...the sound is AMAZING.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Return to “Sound”